Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Quilt-A-Long Quilt Setting - Any Thoughts?


Don't you just love a wedding! It's so much fun watching a couple start their life together. My nephew overcame a broken collarbone (from a rogue wave at the beachside bachelor party) and a pretty severe case of nerves to marry a lovely girl on a gorgeous day. Brought back memories I haven't thought about for such a long time...the boulders that my brothers appropriated from the hotel garden and thoughtfully deposited in the back of my car, the long walk down the aisle and the joyful jog back up with my new hubby and that great kiss that we stopped for after we escaped all the watchful eyes. My dad's face when told him I was taking off that dress to go to the bathroom before we left for the church. (I never did...he would have dropped dead right there!) So wonderful to be in warm, sunny Florida. Nice to see family...if only for a day or so. I'm on dog watching duty at my folk's house in the country. Thank goodness I brought some projects and my sewing machine. The farm is one giant mud hole. At least first thing in the morning it's frozen and I can get in a walk with the dogs without being covered with mud.
I've been working on my red and white Quilt-A-Long quilt. I think I've decided on the placement of the blocks and I liked the idea I saw on Crazy Mom quilts using pinwheel blocks as the corner blocks for the sashing. I made 20 small pinwheel blocks using my favorite fabric that is in the quilt. After they were made...I thought they might be too small, so I added some off kilter log cabin logs and trimmed so they are now 5 inches square. I have 6 of those done so far. I'm not sure I have enough fabric to finish all 20...so, now what should I do? I don't know if it would look ok to do some of the logs in this fabric and some in another...should I just keep going and see how many I can get done? I guess if they don't work for this they might make a nice little quilt on their own. I am SO not a good planner. Truly I work on a wing and a prayer. Any suggestions?

6 comments:

Jen said...

Oh no...Can you find the same fabrics again? How would the six pinwheels look in the center of the quilt with only sashing along the sides? I'm sure you will figure something out. Good luck!

Laurie said...

How big are your blocks? They look like they are 12" blocks. The pinwheel blocks with the borders around them would be pretty large sashings/cornerstones. I think the pinwheels by themselves would be perfect if they are 2-3" in size. As for different reds...heck ya...my rule for quilting is "It's MY quilt, I can do what I want!" LOL Enjoy the process!
Hugs
Laurie

Leanne said...

No suggestions for your quilt - I usually fly by the seat of my pant. Love the picture you have for your header it is so peaceful.

Sherri said...

I love red and white quilts. Great job. I too lack somewhat in the planning department but that just makes the whole process more exciting - more of an adventure, don't you think? I think using a different red would be great and add some more interest to the quilt. Maybe keep all the blocks you currently have in the middle of the quilt, or running along the outside? Create some pattern with them and the other red blocks - I think it would be great!

jacquie said...

Thanks everyone. I'm going to check back at my LQS and see if there might be more fabric. If not, I'll just keep on making them till I run out and see what happens. Like Laurie said...no rules!

Marcia said...

Looking at what you've done so far, whatever you decide to do will be beautiful. I really love your color choices.