Monday, April 28, 2008

It's Showtime!

Welcome to my online quilt show. Feel free to come in your jammies, without make-up, or put your feet up at work (on a lunch break, of course) and enjoy the show.

The first quilt is a bit of my quilting history. This is my first. It is a Trip Around the World pattern made sometime in the 90's. I don't know when because it doesn't have a label. I know better now. It's also terribly faded. It could have to do with the quality of the fabric or where it hung on the wall for so long. Even though those are no longer colors I love or decorate with, it's still my first so it deserves the first slot in the show. It is machine pieced and hand quilted with very large stitches, not purposely, just very beginner hand quilting stitches. This one gives you all an idea of how far I've come!





































The next quilt is my Disappearing Nine Patch. This one was started as an experiment to learn how to make this block during Sew Mama Sew's February quilting month. It is made from a bunch of 99 cent fat quarters and I machine quilted it on my mom's Bernina. It was my second time machine quilting. I chose to echo the figure-eight-like shapes in each of the blocks and I did a widely spaced grid across the entire quilt. Though I'm not a purple, lilac person I do love its quilty goodness. I have no idea what I'm going to do with this one. I'm sure it will be given to someone.













































































This is my Zig Zag quilt which was made using the tutorial on Purl Bee. As some of you remember this is the baby that I sewed 32 half square triangles incorrectly and had to rip them apart and start over. For a rocky start I love this quilt. It is my style and my colors. It is a bunch of different fabric lines, Olivia dots, Urban Chicks Swell, Amy Butler and Denyse Schmidt too. It was also machine quilted on my mom's Bernina. This one will have a permanent home on the bench at the foot of my bed. I'm planning to make either some shams or additional pillow for my bed that will complement this quilt.
























































OK, I admit it...I'm becoming Tea Cup obsessed. Here is my FIFTH Tea Cup Quilt. I'm calling it "Thanks to You" I drafted the pattern for this little quilt for my Pay It Forward friends and it makes such a nice little gift I decided to make another one for an online friend who has done so much to help me grow as a quilter as I'm sure she has helped many of you through her quilt-a-long. AmandaJean are you there? SURPRISE! This one's for you! It will be in the mail on its way tomorrow. Hope you don't mind the public thank you, but I'm not sure if any of these quilts I'm showing today would have been made if it weren't for your quilt-a-long. I learned so much and gained bunches of confidence. So thanks! You do like pink, right? This one has a bit of Denyse Schmidt, some Swell as well as some Joel Dewberry fabrics. The background isn't white, they are little pink polka dots just for fun. By the way I really wanted to have my red and white quilt-a-long quilt done, but no such luck. Still quilting!









































Here we are at the final quilt in the show. This one wasn't made by me, it was made by Lisa of Upstatelisa. She used my wonky log cabin tutorial to make this adorable doll quilt. I wanted to showcase it because it's such a great use of color and fabric and she used the tutorial but made it her own. Isn't it just beautiful?

Whew, how fun was that! I'm so happy I was able to move a few of my WIP's into the finished column. Feels so good even though I'm so sick of binding I could scream!

Thanks for coming and sharing this with me!

37 comments:

QuiltedSimple said...

oh how pretty. You got lots and lots done last week - I'm impressed. I love the disappearing nine patch and especially how you quilted it. And the zig zags are so fun - bright and cheerful. You have done an amazing job and should rightfully be so proud of all you have accomplished.

Kris

John said...

What great work! Thanks for sharing all of your pictures. Very inspiring. The Purl Zig Zag quilt is on my "to do" list, too.
From a fellow Tar Heel,
John

Yummers! said...

What fun to see your quilts. Thanks for sharing!! I'm goofy, crazy about the zigzag quilt. Love the pattern and the colors you chose.
Joni

Laurie said...

CLAP CLAP CLAP!!! Great job and thanks for the show!!!
hugs
laurie

Lisa said...

OMG Jacquie!!! I love, love, love that zigzag quilt! How did I miss that tutorial?! I will have to look for that one right now!!!!
thanks for including my little quilt. As I have told you, I love wonky and I love log cabins so it was the perfect marriage.
I have loved getting to know you! have a great day!
Upstatelisa

country mouse said...

What a great quilt show! Your quilts are wonderful. Love the zig zag and the teacups. It is so interesting to look back at that first quilt and see how you've changed and progressed. I still have the first quilt I ever made for my son. Actually he still uses it :cD I'm looking foreward to seeing that finished quilt along quilt too. Keep up the great work!!

Purple and Paisley said...

thank you for the show! i am in my jammies and slippers and it was perfect!

if your poor lilac quilt needs a home, i know somebody who just LOVES purple!!!!!

Sara said...

They are absolutely beautiful! Funny, my first real quilt (not block) but whole shebang is a trip around the world quilt that is on our bed. I also absolutely love the zigzag quilt. I'm going to have to check that out again!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love your quilts - it is always nice to look back over the different techniques, patterns, and fabrics you have used. I love your Zig Zag quilt - the colours jump out and it looks so bright and cheerful.

Liz said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I'm going to have to post some pictures of mine one of these days. Thanks for the inspiration.

Kathleen said...

Love the zig zag....you know you could have a career arranging kits for people Jacquie as you have such a good eye for colour and also are not afraid to add a zinger. The green in the zigzag front and in the backing is sublime and the whirly gigs colour scheme is outstanding. And best of all you would not have to cut out the half square triangles..you leave that to the unsuspecting quilter, making sure you have a bit of spare fabric in case of mishaps!

Kathleen said...

Boy is anyone else finding it hard to decifer the word verification letters? Maybe I need to get a new prescription....it took me four goes last time. This one is easier!

Stephanie D said...

How absolutely satisfying, even if I'm in my jeans. I hope to get a new computer this weekend and will love seeing them a bit brighter than my dying monitor screeen can portray.

I'm especially anxious to get a really good look at the zig zag and the purple, as I am purple to the core!

Congratulations on moving them to the finished column!

MichelleB said...

Love the zig zag, but I also love the tea cups! Is that a pattern that you share? Adorable!

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing your quilts. They're all beautiful! Great Job!

Karen

dutchcomfort said...

Beautiful quilts, I especially love the zig-zag quilt!

driftwood said...

what a great quilt show! they are all lovely, and I love the way you showed the first quilt you ever made.

Rose said...

I did enjoy this quilt show! I seen it yesterday but didn't have time to read what you wrote so it is one of the first places I came to today. I also loved the quilt in the post before this one.

Dawn said...

The coffee is poured- I am indeed in my pj's (and ooookay, the hair is still sticking up from sleeping) but coming to your quilt show has been so gratifying. Your work is beautiful and so, so inspiring.....

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

WOW! What a wonderful show! all your quilts are beautiful. Thanks for sharing. WTG :)

bettyninja said...

Wowwy! I love em all. In fact I love your online quilt show so much, that I am going to copy you-- I hope you don't mind. The online quilt show part only though. I'll have mine later this week. It will be all my quilts- it is a fun idea to have one post with a whole range of quilts.

Do you mind if I copy?

Jen said...

Hey! Nice quilt show! Thanks.

I love the zig-zag quilt. And I have to say, I was not loving the disappearing nine-patch when I first saw you doing it (must be the lavender, pink, etc. aversion as well) but I think it came together really nice! The colors are nice and soft and subtle.

Kim said...

I am so impressed with your talent.
The zig zag is my favorite. I really need to learn "how to" quilt, but not sure I have the required patience :)

syko kajsa said...

Thanks for the invitation, I'm actually in my strawberry jammies... My favourites of your quilt must be the zig zag quilt and the wonky log cabin, I love the colour scehme in these so much!

Amanda Jean said...

oh, jacquie, I have tears in my eyes....I can't believe that you made that quilt for me! I sure love it. and your kind words (which I read to my husband and he said "awww") really are the icing on the cake.

and I heart that zig zag quilt. I am putting it on my list. (and it's near the top...) you did a fantastic job.

it was fun to come to your quilt show. :)

Anonymous said...

great show! i also love the zig zag.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea and what a great show! (Finally a show I get to enjoy without my toddlers terrorizing the place.)

Like everyone, I love the zig-zag and also your fabric choices all around. Thanks for sharing.

Isn't it great to see your own progress? You reminded me that I should be doing labels.

Kieny The Dutchlady said...

Thanks for the show I enjoyed it. You have made some lovely quilts!

Levin said...

i love ALL your quilts. i can't wait till i've made enough to have a quilt show!
l
x

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Jacquie....all your quilts and just so lovely, and the quilting...wow....fantastic show.

BusybeeDebQuilts said...

Yay! Wonderful quilt show! I love them all ... especially the zig zag ...

Thanks for sharing!
Debbie

Thriftin and Craftin said...

J!!!

YOU ROCK! I'm having fun learning to quilt, and I'm handsewing the binding on a quilt I'm giving to my mommy for mother's day. I'll share it on my blog as soon as I can. Honestly, even your first quilt looks great! You should be very proud of your progress. Thanks so much for sharing. What a fun idea to do an on-line quilt show. Maybe I'll do that when I've made enough of them! Have a great weekend!

Oiyi said...

Your quilts are beautiful! Wonderful work!

Anonymous said...

Great show! Thanks for sharing. I love the zigzag and tea cups.

Beth said...

I love this zig zag quilt! I have this tutorial bookmarked but have no time to make it. I love the colors you choose in your quilts. Very vibrant. Makes me smile. Beth

Rebekah said...

these are beautiful! Your first quilt is beautiful...I love that around the block/world? design. And I love the quilting that you did on your tea cup quilt. I've been wanting to try a criss cross design like that for a while.

I love love love the zig zag quilt that you made from the purl design. I had problems with my first triangle zig zag quilt too...had to rip out the whole thing. I think someone needs to write a good tutorial about piecing triangles!

Beautiful, beautiful work!

bingo~bonnie said...

oh wow! all three are so nice, It'd be hard to choose a favorite.

What is your secret to getting such a crinkeled look to them? I love that! what batting do you use? do you prewash your fabrics before you use them or wait until the end???

~bonnie