Monday, April 7, 2008

A Weighty Problem

There is no such thing as a "free" piano. I've written previously about our family's love of music, and it's not that we don't have enough instruments and musical equipment around the house, but it was a piano. We have a piano in the country. It's an antique player that my mom rescued from the floor of an antique shop. As much as I love that piano, it's not much of an instrument. Though we've had it worked on over and over it can't hold a tune and it's frustrating to play. Jon has a synthesizer and an electric piano...but again, they're not a REAL piano.

A friend of my mom's had an acquaintance who knew someone who had abandoned a piano. Then the question, do you want it? I would do just about anything to have a piano I could play everyday. Therin lies the problem! We went to look at it in the storage area. Jon gave it his seal of approval (he's about as musically picky as they come), so we said we'd rescue it. We had a week to get it out of the storage area. As some of you know, we're in a bit of a financial mess right now (job related) so we don't have disposable income. In other words, we can't afford a piano mover. My husband, ever the optimist, says it's small, not anywhere near as heavy as our other piano...what does he know? Not much apparently! He and Jon headed out on Saturday with our Honda Pilot to pick it up. You've seen Jon's picture, he's seventeen and maybe his arms are as big as a small twig. A piano in the back of a car..we are certifiably NUTS! I'll save you the details, but two "Monster Guys" as Jon described them, helped lift the piano into the car. And guess what...there it sits. When I took Jon to school this morning all I could think of was what if I have a flat tire. I was playing the conversation I would have to have with the AAA guy on the phone. Oh, by the way...you might want to be aware that there is a piano in the back. Hopefully, we can find enough monster guys to at least get it out of the car today. I have a piano in the back of my car in the garage. I'll let you know what happens...

6 comments:

QuiltedSimple said...

Oh I hope you didn't have a flat - but so glad you now have a piano you can play every day!!! Good luck getting it out of your pilot.

Kris

Anonymous said...

There's a Dr. Seuss rhyme there - I know it! That was my laugh for the day!

Julie said...

What a funny story....I do hope it makes it into the house in one piece!

Liz said...

Good luck!

Rebekah said...

wow! A piano is definitely a must have! We all hurt our backs trying to maneuver our piano into its current location, but it was so worth it!

Stacy A. said...

I have been thinking about a similar dilemma for awhile. I am in an opposite position though. We have a piano (I don't play and husband hasn't for years) that takes up 1/3 of my sewing room. I could be so much more organized without it! So I have been trying to get rid of it, lol. But the same thing, it is too hard to move without movers and we don't have the $. So if anyone in MA wants a piano and will pay to move it, it's theirs! Good luck getting it inside though. I know if I played or had kids I would love it...just not in my sewing space :)