Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Project Improv - Here We Go!


Wow folks, I'm stunned at the response to project improv. We have 72 participants as of this morning. We've got quilters from all over the United States and lots of international folks too. That means we can make about 6 quilts for charity if we put 12 blocks in each. We may decide to do some smaller and some larger, but that is a LOT of quilt blocks. Thanks so much. A special thanks to all of you who have volunteered to help put the quilts together, quilt them, sew on binding and even donate batting and backing. I'm sure we'll need more help so if you're interested, let me know. We'll probably be putting them together during the summer if that helps. I'm excited to get going. I'm busy getting it all organized. A couple of things you can do to help get this started.

I need an email address from Tammy. I have to be able to contact you for you to participate. Please send me your email as soon as you have a minute.

Check the list of participants in the sidebar and make sure that you are listed and that your link works and goes to the right place. Drop me an email if you are missing or if something isn't right.

Did you choose a color for your charity block? If you didn't or I haven't contacted you, drop me an email or leave a comment with your choice. We're pretty even right now, amazingly enough, so whatever you decide will probably be fine.

Look for a couple of emails in the next couple of days. One will be with details, my address, your choice of color etc. and one will be an invitation to join the flickr group where we can post our blocks, our progress, our finished projects and share ideas about improvisational quilting.

One more thing, check out Victoria's post that she did today on improvisation. She was one of those experts I talked about in the intro to the project. She's sharing some really good info!

Onward!

EDITED TO ADD: We're up to 83 quilters. I think I'm going to stop at 100. I've got to stop somewhere!

EDITED TO ADD: We're over 100. What can I say, I'm a softie. I wanted everyone who wanted to participate to have the chance. Thanks so much for the great response!

32 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jacquie, I must have been on a mind break and missed your post on the improvisational quilts. Since you are even numbers, I don't know if you could still use help. But I would absolutely love to donate my longarm quilting skills to quilt some of the charity quilts for free! I hope that would be okay with you. Please let me know. I think it is a great idea and would like to participate in some way.

froghair said...

woo hoo! can't wait to get started!

QuiltedSimple said...

I'm ready!! I said I could do 2 blocks out of any of the color combos - let me know which ones you need!
Kris

Sherri said...

I'd love to help also...just let me know what color combo is needed most...and if you'd like me to do more than one block!

Anonymous said...

OK--I will do orange/pink.

Anonymous said...

Jacquie,
I'm in! Put me down for a blue/green block. Also, if you end up needing another block or two to make up a quilt with, let me know and i'll make another block.
I also love to sew on binding, so count me in for making the blocks into quilts and finishing.
Thanks for organizing this,
Beth
bethndix@sprintmail.com

Eden said...

Am I too late? I hope not. I'd love to participate. I could make a blue/green block for the charity quilt. My email is coffeeshopquilt@yahoo.com

kat said...

hey jacquie, i know you're going to be emailing soon, but just wanted to let you know that i will gladly bind any quilts necessary and/or donate batting for 1 or 2 quilts. . . .
thanks for putting this all together. it's gonna be fun!
-\kat

Yummers! said...

Hi Jacquie,
I am behind in my blog reading... darn old digital scrapbooking lessons that I am currently addicted to and my Valentine projects already in progress. hee hee!

I love, love, love (as Eloise would say) your new pillows made from the embroidered squares. I just love red and I lve them!!

Your quilt project is a great idea. I'm going to have to pass this time as my calendar is full, full, full. But "Bravo" to you for organizing it all.
Happy 2009 kind lady!
Joni

Tine said...

Yipee!! I am so excited about this. Checked the things you asked, everything ok!
Now I'm off to read the post you've linked to.

Beth said...

Yea! Can't wait to start. Thanks for the link on the how to -- I'm excited to build confidence!

I've decided I love binding if you need help with assembly! Summer will be an especially good time.

Marie' said...

I'm in, if it is not too late. I will do orange/pink.
My email is
marieocampbell@yahoo.co.jp

Thank you for hosting. This is very special. It is also going to take my "follow the pattern and make all corners match" kind of quilting to the next level.

shellysquilts said...

Hey Jacquie, I have been out of pocket but would love to participate if you still have room. I can do any color combo you need, want, or can think up.

Bonus Mom said...

I don't know if I changed my settings by accident or what? My email address is boutiquegb(at)aol.com Thank you so much for organizing such a great quilting bee :)

shellysquilts said...

Jacqui, Yee-haw! I can absolutely do red and aqua. shelly(dot)sutton(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

I'd love to be involved if you haven't reached your 100 person quota yet. I think it's wonderful that you've had such a great response already!

I'm: Eerriinn on Flickr and my email is esingleton . AT . gmail

Mushyhed said...

If it's not too late, I'd love to join in. My email is cwu3@cox.net.

Thanks! Chen

dutchcomfort said...

Wonderful, wonderful!!

I love Victoria’s quilts! I saw her post this morning!

bettyninja said...

I can't wait! I really love getting involved with these types of online projects! SO much fun

em's scrapbag said...

I was really unsure about this but after reading Victoria's post I think it is going to be so great. Thanks again for putting it together.

ellen said...

Wheeeee, good for all of you. I can't wait to see what all of you come up with. What a wonder this is, so beautiful and exciting for all of you quilters. Go, go, go...and what a wonderful cause. Blessings to all.

Anonymous said...

Count me in if there is still room! I'd love to try a more improv style and pink & orange is a combo I'd like to play with.

I'm at beasmile AT yahoo DOT com

Colleen

Anonymous said...

oops let me get it right
I'm at beasmile5 AT yahoo DOT com

colleen

Nichole said...

I'd love to join if you haven't reached 100 yet. Your thoughts are spot on to my thinking/quilting philosophy. I can make a red/aqua block, or whatever is needed to even things out. Godness, I have enough scraps around here to do any or all of them! I'm at partridgepeartree on Flickr and nkpartridge@gmail.com

Leah said...

BTW I left a begging comment on your last post but I feel like I have to put one here too in case you miss that one. PLEASE let me participate!!!!!

(thanks)

driftwood said...

I forgot to say what colours, I'll do blue/green, and my link works fine. wow this must be turning into a lot of work for you - all those links brings me out in a fluster.... but it's going to be great . tess xxxx

linda said...

Hi! Count me in. I'd love to do a blue/green block. I'd also be able to quilt one of the quilts when it is finished.

Anonymous said...

Hello!
This would be a great project to join in. if you have room! I can do a pink and orange block. Thanks!
jenn
jennbennstar@yahoo dot com

MightyMom said...

I wish I could commit to assembling a top...but my plate is already full for a couple years. :-)

Thesaurus Thursday 2009 is up and running wanna play?

calicodaisy said...

Wow! Big job to organize but hopefully the art-stretching fulfillment and awesome charity quilts will be more than worth it! Thanks, Jacquie, for putting such a great opportunity out there for us to learn and share.

Quinta da Quilter said...

Is it too late to play??
Garen

Anonymous said...

If it is not too late, I would lov eto play too.