Wednesday, July 22, 2009

It's My Turn

I'm so lucky to be involved in virtual quilting bees. This is my month in the Sew Connected bee. It's not easy to decide what to do. I love bees because they are an opportunity to stretch myself both in skills and creativity. I want my month to do that for my buddies without pushing anyone over the edge. I've had this idea on my list of things to make for awhile now. It was a little hard giving it over to the group, (ideas are a little like babies for me), but after I saw the first block, I'm so glad I did.
This is the inspiration for the quilt. It's a drawing that my youngest son Jon did for me years ago. Jon is always pushing me in a modern direction.
The quilt will reside in this room in some form. I haven't decided if it will be the king sized quilt for the bed, or maybe a throw for the chair or the bottom of the bed.
I sent my sew connected buddies a very simple set of fabrics, three kona cotton solids: espresso brown, ice frappe (my fav color), and snow with the instructions to use the drawing as inspiration. I also asked that the brown be 1 inch strips so those lines would be consistent through the quilt. Tracy went for it right away and this was the first block posted. I was thrilled!! She captured the spirit of the drawing and the modern feel I was looking for. All the blocks will be different sizes and some will be very simple and some more complex. I'm looking forward to receiving them all and grappling with this puzzle and putting it together in a nifty way. More blocks have been posted...you can see them here along with the rest of the great work this group has done.

If you're not in a bee, don't wait to be asked. Gather up a group of friends and go for it. You'll be glad you did. This quilt is the result of my month in the Common Threads bee. I had such a great experience in this bee, I'm starting year two!

Thanks for all the advice and good wishes concerning my hands. I'm trying my best to be good and follow orders. It sucks being obedient.

29 comments:

Jodi Nelson said...

The quilt is going to be fabulous. But I LOVE the bedroom shot. The headboard, the colors, the coverlet/bedspread the PILLOWS! So fantastic! Girl you never cease to amaze me.

Meagan said...

So cool, I can't wait to see what the quilt turns out like! I love modern designs, and the three-color design really lends itself to good exploration.

As an aside to any of Jacquie's readers: I don't have friends who are into quilting, but would be a devoted member of any quilting bee, so if anyone is looking to create one, I would LOVE to be included :) I can be reached at meagansway@gmail.com

Thanks for the inspiration, Jacquie, I've always wanted to be a part of a bee! (OK, always as in, as long as I've been quilting, as in, the last year ;)

Michaela said...

Jacquie,
I can't wait to see more blocks... What a great inspiration and right under your roof. :)
I am in the process of catching up with blogging... It's good to be back.

nettie said...

jacquie, ice frappe is a favorite of mine too--such a great color. this is going to be a very cool quilt. can't wait to see what you get.

Kritta22 said...

this month is my month too!! (Well August)
i sent out black and one other color. They could do anything they wanted. I'm sooooo excited to see what I get back.

I really really love the block that is already done! can't wait!

Cheryl Arkison said...

Way to push the envelope on the bee! Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

This quilt is going to be phenomenal. I cant wait to see how you decide to quilt it.

I would also love to be a part of a quilting bee and just wrote to Meagan in response to her post above. Hopefully enough fans of Jacquie's will be interested and we can get a new bee going. I can be reached at szolondek@cox.net

Sharon

silversmith said...

it reminds me of mondrian, but without primary colors. i LOVE it and can't wait to see how your quilt comes along.

after months of poking around flikr trying to find a bee with an opening, i was finally invited to not one, but two!, bees in the past week. i've joined just the one so i don't overwhelm myself with swaps, the bee and personal projects (and family time). we start in august and my month is in january. can't wait - already searching for my fabrics.

Vicki said...

Oh wow, it's going to be beautiful!

I have too long of a project list to join/start a bee right now, but I think one day I'd like to do it... I really do enjoy seeing all the bee blocks on the various blogs.

Amber said...

It is going to be amazing Jacquie - what a great inspiration piece!
I already have all my fabrics for Common Threads round 2 :-)

Dena said...

Your quilt is going to be fantastic. Your son could start his own business creating quilting patterns. He's very talented.

Kristin L said...

Tracy did a great job of interpreting Jon's drawing. The quilt will be fantastic! I look forward to seeing more of it. :-)

Gillian said...

Thank you for letting us know the inspiration for your 'themed' quilt. I have followed online bees before and saw the amazing interpretations of the participants and wondered what brief the future owner gave. The quilt is going to beautiful.

Unknown said...

Jacquie, you are so inspirational! Your mind must be constantly turning with ideas!! How wonderful is that. Your new inspiration piece is going to make a wonderful quilt. Very contemporary. Hope you are continuing with the orders for resting your hand.

SewAmy said...

I went to the flickr group and your 2 blocks made so far look so great. It's going to be a lovely quilt. And I love your quilt from your last bee.

Aussie Jo said...

What an exciting thing to be the recipient of all those beautiful pieces to puzzle together. I can't wait to see the finished quilt!

Tara said...

I love this! I'm so inspired by all of these virtual quilting bees that I'm starting my own! Thanks so much for all your awesome inspiration!

Sherri said...

I always love seeing your work, and especially hearing about the inspiration. I've never done a virtual bee...but I'm going to have to do one one of these days!

Unknown said...

I love being in the bees too! I love the inspiration piece from Jon, and making your block got my wheels turning for future projects too :)

MightyMom said...

well phooey, I was really hoping you'd misbehave so I'd have an excuse to come up there!! ;-)

you know...I don't do bees....or improv...or modern....but...


BUT


if you sent me those fabrics of yours and your particulars... I've got a block idea I would put together for you.

love that drawing.

Janet said...

I also saw a Mondrian. I like your interpretation. Yes we need outside stimulation and encouragement from like minded friends to continue to stretch ourselves.

Amanda Jean said...

i'm so excited about your quilting bee quilt! i think i might just be as anxious to see it completed as you are. it's a fun concept for a quilt.

sewtakeahike said...

That is such a great idea Jacquie. The guidelines for the brown strips looks key. It's going to be fabulous all put together!

Stephanie D said...

If everyone clicks to your guidelines as well as Tracy did, this is going to be one fabulous quilt! Can't wait to see the end result!

Rebekah said...

that is such a cool inspiration piece for your quilt! I love how the first block turned out

Nanette Merrill said...

It is going to be stunning. Isn't it fun the way our children influence us. I blogged about your influence on me this week. Although my attempt wa kindergarten Jacquieish I felt like I would never have attempted an "off" straight block without getting to know your style. Thank you.

beth said...

what a great idea for a quilt. i can't wait to see how it turns out! your blog is great.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jacquie! (You're not showing up in my bloglines lately so I'm late commenting.) I'm in my first bee and it's great fun. A real exercise in creativity. I love the colors you chose. It's going to be phenonmenal!

GloJoeSews said...

Gorgeous. So craftsman-like.