Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Something Different

I finished another quilt this morning. Sorry, no reveal yet. My last First Friday at the gallery is this Friday and it's going in the show. I wanted the folks who come to see something that hasn't already been shown here. There are a few more new items for the show as well. If you're in my neighborhood and have some free time Friday, I'd love to see you there. Just email me for details.
I'm particularly excited about this quilt. It may be a new direction for me.

I bought a piece of Yoshiko Jinzenji's fabric a few months ago. It was so different, I had to live with it for awhile before it became a quilt in my head. I did some reading about her. She's quite an inspiration and I found we have a connection.
Part of the fabric I purchased has writing from the preface of her book, Quilt Artistry. It seems that she was inspired by Canadian Mennonite quilts. My family are Mennonites who came from Europe and settled in Canada.

I was also inspired by Malka's article in Quilting Arts magazine on using 'low volume' fabrics. Malka has a post about it on her blog Stitchindye if you'd like to know more.
I finished up a tutorial for some simple gifts. That'll be shared later in the month. Christmas is around the corner, you know. I need to get started to avoid that "unfinished project wrapped in a pretty box" thing that I did last year.

21 comments:

Ashley said...

I can't wait to see it! I love Yoshiko Jinzenji's fabric, and bought a bunch at the last quilt show I went to... still waiting for the right project though!

linda said...

I can't wait to see it too! Where did you buy her fabric? I guess I haven't been looking hard enough, because I can't seem to find any. I have that same book, and I have been making sketches ever since.

Victoria said...

I am quivering with excitement because I know how much I am going to like this! Yoshiko Jinzenji is one of my favorites and I have some of her beautiful cloth, too. I have been holding onto it for a couple of years and almost cut into it after seeing what Malka did, but couldn't convince my hands to squeeze the scissors. I can hardly wait to see what you do!

QuiltedSimple said...

I can't wait to see the new quilt!!! I'm sure it is absolutely lovely
Kris

Cheryl Arkison said...

Hmm. Curiousity piqued.
Lovely to have new inspirations.

Jan said...

You must check out Monica's recent post about the Zinjenzi show in the UK!
http://quiltwhileyoureahead.typepad.com/quilt_while_youre_ahead/2009/08/birmingham-festival-of-quilts-part-3.html

Jan said...

I meant, *Jinzenji*...sheesh.

debbie in San Diego said...

I love her fabric, where does one buy it? I have been searching the web and can not find it?
Thanks,
Deb

Alissa said...

Oh I cannot WAIT to see your new quilt!! A new direction for you? So exciting!!

Unknown said...

I'm excited to see what you've been up too :)

Unknown said...

Looking forward to seeing the reveal! I am sure that it will be fantastic. You always have terrific ideas running in your creative mind.

abcgirl said...

Hey Jackie,

Did we already talk about how I'm Mennonite too?

:)

Candace said...

Hi Jacquie - I adore Yoshiko and have two of her books - I love looking through the pages for inspiration!
Cheers!

Sherri said...

Where to start?! Can't wait to see your gift tutorials! And thanks for the link...many of my ancestors were Mennonite and Amish who settled in Iowa. Have a great day!

annette said...

Your "unfinished project wrapped in a a pretty box" line absolutely cracked me up. That is sooo very me!!! I've done it more than I care to think about. But I am improving... so I promise you there is hope :) :)

Looking forward to those tutorials - 'cause you know christmas will be here before we know it.

Maybe you'll share pics AFTER the gallery show????!!!! (fingers crossed!)

Shari said...

You've certainly caught my interest! Will keep an eye on you to see what's coming. Love the fabrics...

MightyMom said...

followed your link. that low volume is something I'll have to ponder on...very interesting concept!

Sharon said...

Very interesting that you mentioned Malka's article on "low volume", because when I read the article in QA, I thought of your work!

I hope you'll share your new quilt with us after the show...anxiously awaiting!

Shannah said...

What is that last fabric, which the cute girls holding wreathes? I LOVE that! :)

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Love the fabric, I now need to go see wht "low volume" is!!!

Unknown said...

I so love the little ladies christmas fabric. I am a self admitted Barbie collector and a quilter, I really have to go on the hunt got that fabric. Who makes it ????? Where can I get?