Thursday, March 4, 2010

Just Let Me Breathe

my boys playing together (jon on the left, ben on the right)
In a few days my youngest son, jon, is coming home from college for spring break. He's in music school and is crazy talented. This is one of his songs...he calls it epic pop. It's not a style he works in usually, but it is my favorite of all the compositions he's done. (except for a remix he did of some Chopin) It used to be titled 'Breathe', but now it's 'To whom it may concern'.

Today I was thinking of him and feeling a little stressed out. I reminded myself to breathe, and then I listened to this song. It always brings tears to my eyes. I'm not sure why. Makes me proud too. Some days a little music is the best medicine. I wanted to share it with you. You can listen to it here, and in case you want to read the lyrics while you listen (I like to do that), here they are.

It's worth 5 minutes of your time.

To whom it may concern

I’m coming closer
There's no lights on
Just the glare of the tv
Let's me know you're here

Begin to talk
It's like it used to be
Can you remember me
Can you remember me

I know that this can never be
But at least I'll hope for something
And i just wish that you could see

That it's just wrong
But it feels so right
And i wrote this song
All about that night
When i first saw you
And looked into your eyes
That's when i knew
That's when i realized

That i can breathe
Just let me breathe

I hate to break this
But i cant take this
And i know it hurts you more

It's been a long time
Since we've talked
But baby i know
I remember everything

I know that this can never be
But at least I'll hope for something
And i just wish that you could see

That it's just wrong
But it feels so right
And i wrote this song
All about that night
When i first saw you
And looked into your eyes
That's when i knew
That's when i realized

That i can breathe
Just let me breathe

And you'll say its okay
And the look that you gave
To me, I know that
It's true

Kiss you
Love you
Forever and ever

And i knew it all again
That there's never any end
And can't you understand
This wasn't in my plan
I know it went so fast
But i swear that this can last
We found a place of our own
A place called home

oh, oh woah, oh oh, oh woah oh

Kiss you
Love you
Forever and ever

And it's just wrong
But it feels so right
And i wrote this song
All about that night
When i first saw you
And looked into your eyes
That's when i knew
That's when i realized

That i can...

43 comments:

Cheryl Arkison said...

Aw, that's awesome. Hang in there, Jacquie.

Madame Awesomepants said...

He is crazy talented! I can create all sorts of things out of fabric and yarn, but how people make new music just baffles me. It's a talent that even the theory of it eludes me.

MightyMom said...

that's a wonderful song.

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

You must be so very proud Jacquie!! I just listened to the song with my two teens - it is amazing - what a talented young man. He is going to go far that is for sure. Thanks for sharing! Enjoy the time with him over the break.

mariarrosa said...

Congratulations! I love it. Thank you for sharing.

Andi said...

Great song. You must be so proud!!

Kath Garvey said...

Beautiful !!!!

Kate said...

Wonderful wonderful song and lyrics - thanks for sharing - made me cry too!!!

Unknown said...

That is a terrific song!! My whole family is listening to it now. You should be very proud!

Mary C said...

You are a lucky mom, thanks for sharing with us

stitchinpenny said...

Great song. Hope he hits it big and still gets to do his favorite music.

Anonymous said...

Wow - I really enjoyed that song!

(On a completely unrelated note, I just had to comment about my word verification word - "whorin"?! Really?!)

jenn said...

What talent!! I know you are so proud. This is a great song, I really really like it!!

Jewel said...

Wow! He is very talented. We listened and loved it.

Qubie said...

I can see he gets his talent from his mother. Great song. When is it going to be on the radio?

Anonymous said...

One more thing...they remind me of Ben Folds Five. I love that group.

Sweet Baby Jamie said...

Beautiful!! Yes, he IS talented!! I love listening to my boys play too...we've had band practice every saturday, they are getting ready for a battle of the bands in two weeks. So blessed!!

Vicki said...

I love this song. It is definitely reminding me of someone... a long time ago.

♥Duff said...

this is aweaome! Your sons are very talented! I have one small comment, though, and it is this: the "oh, oh woah, oh oh, oh woah oh" part sounds like a lift from someone else--could it be Angels and Airwaves? Check it out--the last thing anyone needs is copyright infringement worries! Okay, I figured out what I'm talking about!!
link to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr9sjwn3Sh4
go to 3:05
that's where i hear the similarity.

Alisa said...

Very, very good! I have 2 kids in college right now and I totally understand your feelings. Your son is quite talented. Enjoy is visit.

Anonymous said...

You are right, he IS talented. Lovely music and lyrics. I've bookmarked him to show my two music loving daughters as well. Much success to him!

connie said...

What a talented son you have. I love his song. I too have a son in college and I am just loving hearing about his adventures and I am hoping he will come home for spring break. Mom or Snowboarding we will see who wins. :-)

Sharon said...

Listening right now. Sounds great! love the lyrics in the chorus!

KateKwiltz said...

Way to go, Jon, doing your momma proud! Love the sound!

Anja said...

A wonderful song! That gave me the creeps!

Anina said...

Wow Jacquie! Amazing! I'm going to send this link to my 17-year old because I think he will love this.

audreypawdrey said...

Wow! Thank you for sharing this, it is wonderful!

Sarah Seitz said...

Very cute, you can be so proud! BTW - I work in Music Licensing, and you can TOTALLY ignore the comment from "Duff." I listened to the song she linked to and the only similarity is that they both sing "Oh"...but so do a million other songs out there! Absolutely NO copyright infringement there!!!

Beth said...

Jacquie, what do you think you and your husband did to instill such a love of music in your sons??

Jennifer said...

You are right, he is crazy talented! I love his songs! How proud you must be...

Jennifer :)

Unknown said...

You must be very proud - that's a a beautiful song!

Shrinkie said...

wow! i'd be full of pride too - awesome song, love his voice! What a wonderful creative family you all are. Thanks for sharing :o)

Angela Nash said...

Wow - awesome song!

Jenny @ Anything Pretty said...

Oh wow....he is amazingly talented! Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us!

sewtakeahike said...

and you should be so proud Jacquie! I just listened to his song, it's fabulous! So Jon is your son that was travelling abroad with a band?

Anonymous said...

awesome! I think you should make a quilt called "epic pop," that's a great name.

Melanie O said...

Wow, Jacquie, that's fabulous! You must be so proud :) Thanks for sharing.

Stephanie said...

What an amazing song. Thanks for sharing it. I know why it makes you cry--I know why it would make me cry anyway--it's incredible to realize that this little boy you raised has grown into a man with deep and complex emotions who can create something that moves people and, like Vicki said, can remind you of someone long ago...

Kelly O. said...

you can tell when someone has music in their bones not just their soul--he's very talented. Be proud.:)

Victoria said...

Wonderful... no wonder you are proud!

lizy said...

Wow, Jacquie your son has an amazing talent! Great song. thanks for sharing it with us :)

Tuesy said...

Hello from a Jayhawker born and raised now living out west!!Beautiful song!! Your boys are so very talented! Thank you. :)

Mike Bryant said...

Wow Jacquie!! I always knew Jon and Ben were talented, but that is crazy awesome! I loved it! Great Job!!
Tina B.