Monday, April 12, 2010

Before Reality Sets In

Before 'real life' overwhelms me again in I wanted to live a bit in my Seattle experience. On Thursday we had time to visit Kathy Mack's (of Pink Chalk Studio) new warehouse. Since her fabric business had taken over EVERY room in her house, she decided it was time for a space dedicated to her business. It's a dream come true. Look at the high ceilings, the natural light, the lovely color blue on the walls and the fabric...bolts and bolts of Kathy's exquisite taste in fabric. I've shopped with Kathy since the beginning, first because she makes great choices, second because her service is the best, but most of all because she's a wonderful person. She's giving and open and her blog is a place where I always learn something new.
She let us dig through her scrap boxes. How nice is that! We pretty much covered her pristine floor with little stacks of fabric. Totally fun! Of course I came home with fabric. (Actually I had to borrow an extra suitcase to tote all my treasures back home.)

I had another pretty cool experience when I was in Seattle. After my trunk show on Tuesday I got to meet on of my project improv participants in person. Gabriella contributed a block and at the time she was just 11 with a brand new sewing machine. Gabriella came to the trunk show with a gift for me. Isn't it fabulous! Such great color choices and perfect construction. Practical too. I'm going to use it everyday in my studio.
She signed it for me too. (as all artists should!) Thanks Gabriella. Keep up the great work!

P.S.
Welcome to all of my Canadian friends. I was on 'Canadian Living' today. All my Canadian relatives are going to be sooo proud!

25 comments:

Live a Colorful Life said...

What a fun trip. I agree that Kathy has fabulous customer service. Last minute ASAP fabric must-have? No problem for her at all. It must have been fun seeing where her new business is and getting to know her. And that bag is wonderful. How fun. Wish I could have seen your trunk show.

shellysquilts said...

Hey Jacquie, Sounds wonderful! Luv the bag. Have a great week and happy sewing!

shellysquilts said...

Hey Jacquie, Is that a liberty of london scarf from Target? I bought that same scarf. I luv it! Great minds think alike! Happy sewing!

Nanette Merrill said...

Oh wow. What a treat!! This would be fun to do. She's got great stuff.

Unknown said...

Your trip sounded like so much fun! I hope you have a great week :)

ilovebabyquilts said...

Cute bag! I love that Park Slope bird print, you can use it with so many colors and it will pick up the color with a bird.

Laura said...

Sounds like lots of fun. And the bag that Gabriella made is great-love the bird fabric!

Poppyprint said...

What a nice gift from Gabriella!! The fabric warehouse looks amazing - it must have been hard to get out of there...I'm not surprised you needed an extra suitcase!

Vicki said...

welcome home! That looks like it was a blast. I love the little bag Gabriella made for you.

Cheryl Arkison said...

Oh, I need to get you here! Or maybe I can find my way to Kansas. It is always such a treat to get together. Glad to hear you had a lovely trip. Now, about those scraps...

Victoria said...

Welcome home :0) Sounds like a wonderful trip! How lucky to see Kathy's new digs, (and I agree she has the best service.) It's apparent that young Gabriella has a keen eye for color and pattern, as she created a lovely bag!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Wow! What fun!!! Gotta love scraps!!!! And that is so cute about the bag! Precious indeed!

Kathy said...

that must have been so fun digging in the scrap bins!

Terriaw said...

Sounded like a wonderful trip, but what a treat to spend time with Kathy at her new studio! That gift from your new friend Gabriella is so sweet. That must have touched your heart.

wishes, true and kind said...

How sweet is that! Yes, Gabriella is totally an artist! What a great trip you had :)

em's scrapbag said...

Nothing better than playing in scraps and buying new fabric. So happy you had a good time. Gabriella's bag is darling. I'm sure you will treasure it.

MightyMom said...

well now how cool is THAT!!??

Rebekah said...

sounds like a fun afternoon! I would love to check out the hq of PCF sometime...I love her site

Wendy said...

How fun! I love Pink Chalk Studio and Seattle is such a fun city -

Kate said...

Eek - looks like Quilters Heaven - how on earth did you ever manage to leave?

Thimbleanna said...

Wow! How did you tear yourself away from all that fabulous fabric? It looks like you had a great time!

Rene' said...

Kathy's new place looks awesome. How fun to see all the fabrics and go through her scrap bins. I see her Pink Neighborhood quilt peeking over the fabric bolts ;-) What a nice bag your young friend made!

Magnolia Designs said...

Here's some love from a kind-of Canadian...I think you're great!!!!

~April~ said...

It's so great to hear of younger girls who are sewing! I started at age 9 and I just love it!!! I would love nothing more than a room full of girls to teach :)

Darcie said...

I'm just playing catch up...so this is all such terrific news! Everything. My heart sings for you!

And...you got to see the real deal?! The real Pink Chalk!!! How fun!