Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Shhhh...The Volume is on Low

I turned the volume WAY down on this new design. I've tried to work low volume before and it's pretty difficult for me. First, low volume fabrics are hard to come by or maybe I should say, I don't buy low volume very often. I'm still tweaking this a bit, but it's coming along.

It always surprises me how values change when placed with different fabrics. The dark gray in this quilt is Kona ash...a pretty darn light gray...i couldn't find a gray solid lighter than that, so the lighter gray is actually a stripe. A friend was over the other day and commented that only I could make prison gray striped fabric look girly.
The whites in this quilt are actually a mix of kona white and kona snow. The subtle difference gives the quilt a little depth that I like. The kona snow almost takes on a pink tinge when it's next to the blush pink.
I love baby quilts that are sophisticated. I think this one fits the bill. I'd sure love to design a nursery around it, it's so soft and understated. Actually, I think it might make a nice big girl quilt too. What do you think?

In other business, the winner of Kajsa's book is Debbie of Esch House Quilts! Congrats! Your book and cards are on the way.

21 comments:

~Michelle~ said...

ahhh... another lovely quilt from you!

Islay said...

A great success! It's really low volume without looking washed out and lacking in texture. And I can definitely imagine a rather lovely nursery to go with it.

Unknown said...

I think it's so elegant and sophisticated ... I love it!

When it comes to fabric, I'm usually a kind volume-at-11 girl but I feel that if that quilt were on my bed I'd automatically become all Audrey Hepburn about life ...

Anonymous said...

I think it's gorgeous, and yes, would probably work better for a big girl -- it could get drowned out in most baby households, with all the bright colors.

The back seems like a challenge, I'll be interested to see what you do with it. Please let us know!

Andie Johnson said...

Lovely. Reminds me of the 1980s pink and gray - only better. Really classic.

grendelskin said...

This big girl loves it! It looks just like the castle walls of my girlhood fantasies. Will be interested to see how you choose to back and quilt it.

Penny Schine Gold said...

I really like the subtlety. I'll be interested to see the quilting you decide on. That's the hardest part for me.

BubzRugz said...

Wow- I would never have thought to put those all together - it looks really good...
Hugz

Amy said...

Stunning! I love looking at the interplay of colors like this too. If I had this quilt, I don't think I'd ever stop looking at it!

Lynn said...

I think it's perfect for a baby. So soft and soothing and that bit of pink in there adds warmth. I can just imagine a little one sleeping under it. Leave it to you to get us all to think outside of the box when it comes to baby quilts.

mary.keasler@gmail.com said...

WOW! Oops sorry, didn't mean to be so loud. It is gorgeous. I want one for my king size bed. Very elegant, indeed.

MadeByMeaghan said...

Wow, this is gorgeous. You created so much depth and richness with these neutral colors. A girl of any age would love this!

Poppyprint said...

Low volume is lovely!

Jill Chapman said...

Gorgeous! I love the subtlety of the colours, they remind me of a crisp winters' day

Alissa said...

Wonderful! Love the simple, elegant tastefulness!!

Gari in AL said...

So very different. I am not sure I could do such a quiet quilt......but it is something to think about.

Esch House Quilts said...

Somehow my blog reader missed picking up this post so I didn't see it until today.

This quilt is lovely! So soft and pretty, but modern at the same time. I notice I have been drooling over a lot of neutral quilts lately - probably time to make another one!

So excited to win the book and cards!

Melissa said...

Wow, the quilt top is stunning!

Anina said...

Ooooh! Lovely! I can only imagine what it's going to look like once it's quilted.

MightyMom said...

UUMMMMM

I plead the fifth.

Catherine Fowler said...

Can't wait to see it when it is quilted. It will be gorgeous.