Monday, April 4, 2011

Free Pieced Chevron...A Tutorial

I received a bunch of requests for how to make this chevron block, so to start the week a quick tutorial. This is a great block to use up scraps, so grab a bunch and let's get started.Start with a square. Mine is about 4" x 4". The size of your starting square will establish the approximate width of your chevron. The chevron in the block above is 3 1/2" wide unfinished.
The remainder of your scraps should be rectangular (sort of) strips about 4" long...a little shorter or longer works too. Your strips can be the same or different widths. They should have one straight side so you can sew a nice straight seam. If your starting square is larger, your strips will need to be longer as well.
Place the first strip as shown below to create the initial angle. The strip should extend to about the halfway point of the bottom edge of the square.
Sew along the strip using a 1/4" seam. Trim the excess of the square maintaining your 1/4" seam.
Flip the strip and press.
Audition the next strip to create the next angle. Again sew, trim, flip and press.
Can you see the chevron shape starting to appear?
Continue adding strips in this manner alternating right and left side.
You can vary the angles of the strips from gentle to severe. As you get to the length you want your chevron to be you might want to lessen the angle, but you don't have to.
When your chevron is the desired length, trim to a rectangle.
I added some solid fabric to each side of the chevron to bring the block to size.

I see so much potential for these blocks...different shapes, sizes, positioning, fabric combinations. Have fun making chevrons! I'd love to see them if you do!

30 comments:

Little Bluebell (Adrianne) said...

I loved your first block and I am so happy to see this tutorial today. I secretly hoped you would show us how you did that. Thank you for sharing. It really does have so much potential!! I'll send you pics *when* I make mine. ; )

Char said...

Great tut. I absolutely love the new header!

Dawn S. said...

Thank you so much for the Tute! Your chevrons are gorgeous!,,

Nutsy Coco said...

Thanks for the tutorial! Can't wait to try it out.

Live a Colorful Life said...

This is a great tutorial. And your header picture is killing me with gorgeousness!!

carol said...

Love your new blog header! It's really awesome!

Anonymous said...

I *love* this!! It's so innovative and such a fun way to make a quilt block. And I love the color combo especially that yellow swatch in there that makes it pop a bit more. Love it!

Unknown said...

Sorry, no time to write a witty comment, gotta go make some of these!

Lee D said...

perfect for all my scraps! thanks

Angela Nash said...

Fabulous scrap block!!!! My month for do.good stitches is next, this may be the block for us. I could get a whole rainbow.

Suzanne said...

Thank you! I love your new header picture too.

Poppyprint said...

firstly, the new header is a clear winner! Thanks for sharing another great tutorial, too! I'm lusting after your solids shelf....

Chris said...

Oh yay! I tried my hand at that chevron after seeing your blog post and it's similar, but not quite the same - still, it was super fun! I blogged the pot holder that I made out of the block here: http://squeezleknits.blogspot.com/2011/03/makin-stuff.html

I'm glad to see the tutorial!!

Donna said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I love your new border (part of me, also, misses the old one). Happy quilting.

Carla said...

Fun block, Jacquie. Thanks for sharing with us!

liz said...

Thank you for a great tutorial. I also love your new blog header. gorgeous!

ECKDesign said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!

rubyslipperz1052 said...

One would wonder how a tute could get an ol' lady so-SEW excited!! But, YOURS did! It's late and I am typing in bed...but, tomo...OH YEAH! I'm going for it! THANKS!

hugZ,
annie
rubyslipperz106.blogspot.com

Rhanda said...

I love this. Thanks for sharing. And your header is fabulous!

Linda said...

I love this, can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

totally fun..what a great flip and sew idea. Thank you for sharing.

Kathy said...

totally fun..what a great flip and sew idea. Thank you for sharing.

kathy said...

totally fun..what a great flip and sew idea. Thank you for sharing.

ing said...

i really liked this the first time i saw it. i want to try it on the diagonal of the block. in some ways it reminds me of a braid and i can also see it in a golden color scheme to look like wheat. thanks!

fialka012 said...

Pěkné...

bellsjo said...

Thank you so much for sharing your tutorial. I had seen a 'traditional' version of this block and quite liked it but now it has been injected with a bit of wonk it is perfect!

Jessica Levitt said...

Hi Jacquie. It was a pleasure to have met you in SLC. I've been popping around your blog. I'm particularly taken with these chevrons, as I love them but have done them precisely. I'm totally going to give this a try!

SeeLifeMarvels said...

Love this! Baby quilt inspiration. I have the fabric, just didn't know what I wanted to do. Thank you for sharing!!

Jess said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial. I used it to make a camera strap cover, and I love it. blogged at jesscarleton dot blogspot dot com if you want to see it. Love everything on your site, great resource and inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try this with my used necktie collection. I think it will look great with solid silk sides and the ties chevroning down the middle. Thanks.