Friday, August 12, 2011

Action Kivu - A Little Goes a Long Way

Today I have an opportunity to share with you my support for Action Kivu. I found out about the work of Action Kivu through my friend Alissa and her sister Cate, who is the workhorse and one of the driving forces behind this effort. I was happy to be reminded that everyone doesn't have the opportunities and safe environment that we do, and best of all that we can help make that possible for others.
Action Kivu provides some of the Eastern Congo's victims of violence with the opportunity to rebuild their lives on a foundation of hope, dignity, and economic self-sustenance. Their approach is spearheaded through two programs. First, they run a sewing workshop that teaches women who are victims of the conflict to sew. This leads them to be able to support themselves and their families. Secondly, they pay for children to go to school which is not free in Congo.
Action Kivu is all about changing lives with sewing machines, fabric and thread.  As we all know, those things aren't cheap.  It is through our donations that Action Kivu can do its work.
Alissa has set a goal of $15,000 this year and earlier in the week she told me that many people were coming to her blog, but weren't giving.  I know times are tough and money is tight, but I also know that a lot of caring, generous people read this blog.  There are prizes for donating (some really great ones), but the biggest prize is a woman who can live with dignity and a child who is educated and who will live a better life because of it.
You can read more about Action Kivu on their website.  You will be impressed by the work they do. Please head to Alissa's site and click the donate button.  It's simple, quick and most importantly it makes a difference. If each of us donate even $10 Alissa will make her goal.  Give more if you can, but please give.

Have a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

Carol E. said...

I wish I could! I used to do this kind of giving so freely.. almost without thinking. But times are tougher now. I'm semi-retired and finding the bills a little harder to pay, and hubby is getting laid off, so the bills will be even a bigger challenge. Maybe in a few months things will be looking up. I hope so! I hate having to say no to projects like Action Kivu.

Michele Bilyeu said...

I am amazed that you had 42 comments on your last post and 1 on this one. I find that exactly the same thing happens whenever I talk about donations for causes. It is so very sad that so many of us are unemployed, have no disposable income or have faced such drastic reductions in our lives that we feel we can not give even a little.
I donate through a mission program and to an orphanage the best that I can as I always have fabric, at least. But, I will still check out all of the information on this valuable cause. And thank you, Jacquie, for sharing it with us.