Monday, September 26, 2011

Starting Slowly

I didn't have a bunch of time to sew this weekend.  I spent most of the time working on organizing the apartment. I even hung some pictures.  I'm getting to the fun part...decorating!!!

I took a couple of hours off and did some practical sewing. I think I left my grocery bags in my car that I sold back in Kansas, so I needed to make more. I whipped up these three to keep my shopping green. I used Irene's tutorial on Sew Mama Sew. Her tut is wonderful, quick and easy...no lining, but french seams to keep everything neat and a flat bottom for easy grocery packing.
I have to say I felt a bit unsteady at the machine.  I haven't sewed for so long, I was a tish nervous.  I know that sounds weird, so it was good to sew something easy and fast to get my sewing legs under me.
I also packed up a few quilts.  I have too many and now I have no place to put them, so I figured that they should go to a great cause.  Many of you know Victoria of Bumble Beans and her BASICS project to provide quilts for homeless families in New York City.  Victoria is doing a push to get another 400 quilts to the project by Thanksgiving.  That's a lot of quilts, so she can't do it alone.  Do you have an extra quilt or two?  Please send it on.  All the info you need to participate can be found on the BASICS site.

I have a few more quilt tops (from the infamous closet of creativity) that also don't have a home here.  As soon as I figure out how I'm going to baste quilts, I'm going to get those done and send them on their way.

I've always wanted to be a part of the distribution of those quilts. Wouldn't it be great to put a quilt in the hands of a family who needs one? How many quilts do you think we could contribute together?  50?  100?  If you send a quilt...let me know.  I'd love to keep a count.  There are so many families who have so little. Let's try to start them out with something both practical and beautiful.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

So great to get this info about quilt giving. Thank you. Your new site and sewing room look amazing. I'm glad you're feeling settled and ready to sew again!!

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

Glad to hear that you are getting settled, and I love your new grocery totes!! So bright and cheery.
What a great use for your extra quilts. I am just a beginner, so haven't gotten there yet!

Sequana said...

I have a whole BOX of quilts for that very charity; just need to put labels on and find postage to send them.

Soon as I do that, I'll let you know. Probably the first part of Nov.

Love those grocery bags.

The Calico Cat said...

I gave to 100 quilt for kids:
http://www.swimbikequilt.com/p/100-quilts-for-kids.html
We are overflowing here too.

Twisted Quilts said...

What an inspiring idea. I need something to concentrate on. I follow Bumble Beans and I knew about what she was doing but for some reason it has slipped my mind. Thanks also for the shopping bag tutorial. I always use my Tarheel bags!

Sara said...

Such pretty grocery bags!

I donated one for 100 Quilts for Kids at Kate's blog Swim,Bike,Quilt!

Maybe soon I will donate to Victoria. She's a sweetie:)

Suzanne said...

You are so generous with your time and talent. Speaking of which, I just received an email announcing the preview of the new Winter Stitch. It showcased your Ornament Tree Place Mats. When I saw your name, I got excited. It's a swell project!

audreypawdrey said...

Those are great bags! I am hoping to finish up a quilt soon to send off to charity, but I won't come close to your stash! I know they will all be well received and loved.:)

Poppyprint said...

Welcome back to the world of sewing! I completely understand the strange feeling of getting back to the machine after a long absence. Way to go donating all those quilts - that must feel great. I've got 4 here to send off to Japan for relief.

Love your new blog graphics!

Cindy said...

Isn't it nice to share the love? I've got more quilts than we'll ever need. I'm sending one to the Texas Wildfire Quilt Crusade and two to Bumble Beans.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jacquie. Check out this video on basting quilt in small spaces. It is in 2 parts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
Hope the city treats you well.
Pat @kckps

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I am sending a quilt to Victoria for her basics. I need to send more, like you I have too many. But sometimes it is hard to part with my babies. This one I made for someone and it turned out not to be what they would have wanted, so it was easier to send out.

glen: it will be in the mail this week

Live a Colorful Life said...

I do have extra quilts. I went to Victoria's site looking for dimensions but couldn't find it. Is there a recommended size?

linda said...

Hey Jacquie,
If you need any of them quilted I can do it, then send them off to Basics. I've done a lot for Victoria.