Monday, January 30, 2012

Bridges...Setting it up!

Constructing the bridge blocks for the quilt was the easy part for me. Like I said in the previous post, they flowed out. I actually made 8 bridge blocks. I ended up using five in the quilt. The three I eliminated all have curved sections. They didn't seem to fit with the starkness of the straight lines in the other blocks.
The blocks stayed on the design wall for over a month.  The arrangement of the blocks was a challenge.  The blocks are large and so the options for the layout were a bit limited.

I tried hard not to overcomplicate this quilt.  I played with the setting multiple times.  Sorry, I didn't take many pictures of that part of the process.  Many of my quilting friends asked and encouraged me to add color to the quilt.  I listened and I toyed with adding touches of color and also prints.  I also played with using different background fabrics, but in the end I went for only the grey and cream.  I wanted to keep it simple and didn't want anything to distract from the blocks.  I actually had the blocks set one way and took them apart and started over.

I ended up drawing a center line and placing the bridge blocks so they alternated on either side of that imaginary line.  It was almost as if the blocks created a "bridge" between the right and left sides of the quilt.  I guess I could say that it symbolizes building a bridge from my old life to the new one, but that's getting way to deep.  Again, I tried to keep it simple, graphic and stark.  I think that's the mantra for this quilt.
This is the final setting and as you can see a hint of what was to come next...the quilting!
I picked up the quilt today from my friend Sheryl who was in town to enjoy the city and see a quilt of hers at the DuSable Museum. (The guy in the picture is our limo driver, George!)  More on Sheryl, her quilt, and the museum later.

I will tell you I was blown away when I saw the quilt.  More on that in another post too!
Right now my task with the quilt is to get it in the tub, wash out the marks and get it blocked and ready for binding.  I have some decisions to make about the binding too.

PS...For all the folks who emailed and asked...the storage cubes I use for my fabrics were purchased at Costco a couple of years ago.  I've seen them off and on over the years...Target has something like them, but with wire instead of plastic.  I like them because they're inexpensive and flexible.  They can be put together in lots of configurations.

22 comments:

CitricSugar said...

I can't wait to see this finished... Thanks for sharing your process on your quilts - I always find it helpful and inspirational.

Emily said...

This is all just so fabulous! I can't wait to see it all finished up!

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

I am loving the bridges and cannot wait to see it finished. Genius! Pure genius. :o)
xo

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

I am completely in love with this quilt - can't wait to see the quilting!

Esch House Quilts said...

It sort of reminds me of a stepping stone path made of bridges. Love the words too.

Nicole said...

Absolutely marvelous! Adding the color was a great call. The red is perfect. I look forward to seeing the quilting.

Cheryl Arkison said...

Such an inspirational challenge. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Mary Anne said...

How wonderful - a quilt reunion and a friend reunion all in one day! I'll bet you two had a fabulous time together!

Megan said...

Looking forward to seeing the completed quilt. Thank you so much for sharing your process in such detail. I find it fascinating.

Erika Mulvenna said...

Oh! Love! It!

Yarny Days said...

This is so interesting...I am so very intrigued.

Poppyprint said...

I really like the alternating right and left side setting! I'm really interested to know that you'd soak your quilt before binding. Are the edges stay-stitched first? Can't wait to see the quilting on it!

SusieDW said...

The new quilt is a bridge in itself. Well, everyday is a bridge from the past to the future. I love the final layout. When I looked at the photo introducing the red I gasped with pleasure and surprise. But, since you've removed it I can certainly understand the direction/decision you made/took. Eager to see the quilting and binding. Binding is always a toughie for me. (on the few quilts I've made)

krislovesfabric said...

I love these with and without that red "pop". Your lines on these bridges just speak to me! I would love to see the ones with curves to see if they have the same effect! Can't wait to see the quilting :)

Patti said...

I'm just so inspired by this quilt. My hometown is called City of Bridges as we have a river running down the middle of it! Now I will be looking at all of our bridges with a new eye! I am really looking forward to seeing your finished quilt.

MariQuilts said...

I'm loving it. Thanks so much for sharing your process.

Mariel said...

What is this tub? Washing? And blocking? Ok, I guess I understand what a tub is and washing but i would love to hear about the whole process. I've never had a quilt in a tub before. And blocking.... I'm going to have to google. No idea.

KateKwiltz said...

Ooh! Can't wait to see it!

Shayla Alyse said...

This is amazing! Are you going to make into a pattern? I know I'd buy it!

KTseams said...

I am loving this so much! I live in the bay area and it's making me want to do my own modern version of some of our bridges.... Golden Gate, here we come! Thanks for sharing :)

Miriam said...

Amazing blocks! I love the little bit of red.

Thank you for the fabric storage information.

Cyndi Frailing Nelson said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the bridge blocks! I can't wait to see the finished product!!