Friday, January 13, 2012

Building Bridges

The 'Building Bridges' quilt is done and it's getting a special quilting treatment.  I'm going to keep it under wraps until its finished.  Sorry about that.  I will say that I took out all the color that I was going to put in.  It's nothing but the bridges, stark, gray and I love it that way.  There is a bit of color on the back, but that's it.
My friend Sheryl, who will be a big part of this quilt, sent this to me yesterday.  I think she may love this quilt as much as I do! I don't usually make labels, but this might have to appear on this quilt in some way.  It's perfect.  I'll leave you with this.  Have a happy weekend!

Oh and just in case you want to look, the 'Tipsy City' quilt from the book is on the cover of the Interweave Spring 2012 Retail Catalog.  I love that quilt!

THE BRIDGE BUILDER
An old man, going a lone highway,
Came at the evening cold and gray,
To a chasm, vast and deep and wide,
Through which was flowing a sullen tide.
The old man crossed in the twilight dim-
That sullen stream had no fears for him;
But he turned, when he reached the other side,
And built a bridge to span the tide.

"Old man," said a fellow pilgrim near,
"You are wasting strength in building here.
Your journey will end with the ending day;
You never again must pass this way.
You have crossed the chasm, deep and wide,
Why build you the bridge at the eventide?"

The builder lifted his old gray head.
"Good friend, in the path I have come," he said,
"There followeth after me today
A youth whose feet must pass this way.
This chasm that has been naught to me
To that fair-haired youth may a pitfall be.
He, too, must cross in the twilight dim;
Good friend, I am building the bridge for 
him." 

-WILL ALLEN DROMGOOLE

21 comments:

Esch House Quilts said...

I can't wait to see the final layout and special quilting. Stark and grey sounds amazing!

Love the poem :)

Katie said...

Wow, and wow. That looks fantastic. I can't wait to see it. I have a strange love of bridges but have never incorporated one into a quilt. A tattoo yes, but a bridge no. I might have to change that!

Ida from Central PA said...

I love the poem. We use it in nearly all of our Eagle Scout ceremonies. :)

Michelle said...

i'm really excited to see this one finished up!

Leanne said...

That is a lovely poem, thank you so much for sharing it. I love where this quilt is going, I look forward to seeing more.

krislovesfabric said...

Can't wait to see the finished quilt, I love those bridges!

Contented Caroline said...

Jacquie you're so clever - the quilt will look lovely and the poem simply has to be included. Good luck with the quilting - can't wait to see the finished result.

em's scrapbag said...

I love the poem you shared. It has always been a favorite. Your quilt is awesome. My engineering son would love it!

Clare said...

Wow wow wow! I love black and white. It's so stark yet packs a real punch!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

I can't wait to see the finished quilt!

Debbie said...

I love this quilt. The design is amazing.

Elaine said...

love your bridges and can't wait to see how this one finishes up!

scheibach said...

I'm in awe of your work!

MariQuilts said...

I'm so wanting to see this finished....I'm captivated!!!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

THis looks to be a real intersting quilt. I look forward to seeing the finish!

goletagirlwendy said...

Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.

Emily said...

Wow, that poem is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing what your friend shared with you. I am loving the peeks we are getting at your quilt, can't wait to see it all finished :)

Mikelle said...

I love this, yet have no clue how you make it come together so flawlessly.

Anonymous said...

It's always about the building process and reaching out over the next chasm....but it's in the following "valley of rest" where we can prepare and get inspirationn for the next journey.
Valerie

Marcia W. said...

I like the poem

Kersten said...

I can't wait to see the quilt! I love that poem.