Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Party Continues....

Don't you love a party that lasts?  I'm enjoying the weekend and it's been such a treat for me to check out the party locations and see what people think and especially what they've made.  The wonderful part for me is that it's all a surprise and best of all,  folks seem to be understanding the philosophy behind the book.  I didn't want to write a book of patterns because that's not really me, so the book is for lack of a better phrase a "teach a man to fish, rather than give a man a fish" kind of a book.

Katie and I wanted people to be able to make the quilts in the book if that's what they want to do, but mostly we wanted people to be able to learn something new and then use that knowledge to take those designs in their own direction to reflect their own tastes and personalities.  It's fun to see quilters I respect take the ideas in the book and do their own thing.  I won't spoil your surprise by telling you what I've seen so far.  Amazing work by such talented people!!

I did a little twist on stitch and flip/half square triangle combo with this "Query" quilt.  There's a great big stitch and flip question mark on the back of the Blind Copilot quilt in the book, and I was compelled to make another interpretation of that.

Here's a list of party locations.  Have fun visiting!!

15 comments:

CitricSugar said...

So many of the techniques I hear about from the book look so interesting.... Can't wait to try them!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

I'm really enjoying hearing about the book and seeing the projects people have been inspired to make!

Anya said...

Love it - It makes me think of a question mark!

Danih03 said...

Awesome quilt! I love the paint splattered fabric. Did you dye it or purchase it?

Jenny said...

i love a book that teaches me a method vs. giving me a pattern!
im loving this party!

Valerie said...

Yes! That's exactly what I've been saying-I feel like this is a book that teaches skills and how to think about designing rather than just a bunch of patterns. Every time I read it I feel like I pick up something else. Thank you!

Marcia W. said...

Your book tour party is a grand idea. I'm enjoying it and seeing all the quilting designs as well as the patchwork. Thanks!

SewLindaAnn said...

I do love parties that go on and on, that way I can step out from time to time and rejoin when I can:) Like now, I've spent the last 30 minutes all sweaty from a tennis match that I did not win, but I enjoyed the quilts and feel better enough to go shower!

Paula said...

Can't wait to stitch anf flip with you!! Need to choose some fabrics....colors....etc!

B Greene said...

The party has been great this weekend - love all the inspiration out there stemming from your book!

Kate said...

Love the drop cloth print, it really suites the improvisational piecing. akmajor (at) gmail (dot) com

Tamie said...

This celebration has been too much fun. I love seeing what others are doing with what they have learned too.

tusen said...

I love this party, thank you so much. And big congratulations on the book as I think I haven't written that yet.

SusieDW said...

Fun! I've been visiting studios and viewing quilts and comments from the BOOK. all while working on my version of the ICE BLUE quilt in the book. I'm using apricot, yellow, greens, and Kona Ash. Party On!

Katherine said...

I'm enjoying the party and can't wait to dive into the techniques you and Katie share in your book!