Friday, July 27, 2012

Traveling Again

So a couple of the traveling quilts took a little break from their travels at my house, but they're well rested and back on the road again.

First up is for Monica of Happy Zombie fame.  Monica's starter was this amazing colorful piece full of her happy spirit, so I wanted to keep with that joyful spirit and also advocate for world domination of Monica and her Happy Zombie kinda life, so I free pieced a few letters and used them as the centers of some weighted log cabin blocks (mod tv blocks from the book).
 It's my way of saying watch out HGTV, because HZTV might just sweep you from cable.  Happy Zombie TV would definitely be a channel that I would like to become happily addicted to.

Next up was Heather's quilt.  She started with a wonderful herringbone pieced starter in beautiful neutrals which tiny splashes of color.  Penny added this amazing fish in the last round (every herringbone quilt needs a herring) and I thought Penny's fish needed a pond in which to live, so I free-pieced my kinda herringbone pattern and attached it with a flowing, watery curve.

It's so inspiring to see the creativity of this group of quilters, a little intimidating too.  I'm happy with these pieces and even happier to be caught up, at least for the moment.

4 comments:

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

You're so talented I can't imagine you feeling intimidated. I love your work. I'm usually way more planned in my approach and looking for ways to change that a bit. Just ordered your book and hope to bring it to the Fancy Tiger next week for an autograph. Looking forward to meeting you. My son would like you to bring TDWP (haha) because they are one of his fav bands.

Anonymous said...

I love how these are coming along. Our Wonky Quilt Bee is starting traveling quilts this fall and I'm glad to see some more out there. It's fun to add to each person's talent and end up with a whole quilt!

Carla said...

I love reading your blog! So much inspiration here.

Lisa said...

So, interesting these traveling quilts, they look amazing. Art Galley talent. I have falling in love with your work in the last 6 months. I was happy to see you name in McCall Quilting Magazine. You are really going places but grounded enough not to let that get in the way of the work!