Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Revealed

I'm so happy to be home. I've been away for over a week and I'm itching to sew and play in the studio. I was out in Colorado all last week and then spent the weekend in Milwaukee. My hubby and I spent the good part of the weekend exploring the art museum.  The building is amazing with its iconic wings.

I love a museum, especially one with modern exhibits and folk art. It was so inspirational. I was particularly inspired by one piece.  It's funny, I didn't take a photo of it or remember the name of the artist but I couldn't get it out of my head.  I do remember reading the description and it was about revealing a part of yourself, a sliver of who you are.  So, I took that concept of revealing and made these.  I don't have a plan in mind.  I concentrated on figuring out how I was going to construct the piece.  I'm working on getting an even smaller reveal...a sliver.  It's fun to be inspired and think about where this might go and in what different incarnations. I want them to be much bigger too.  Right now they're about 40" tall, but I want to go BIG and skinny and maybe curved rather than these angles.
I've also been continuing with my improv block a day.  These are from the week before I left.  I'm going to continue with these and hopefully put them into a quilt for Project Night Night which is a charity project for the Chicago Modern Quilt Guild.  I've committed 5 quilts so I need to get in gear and finish them up.

6 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Glad you enjoyed Milwaukee. We spent a bit of time there while my daughter attended Marquette. Love the colors in your photos today.

Lee D said...

I too love the 'purple' in your sliver blocks. They remind me of theatre curtains pulled back, and something about to be peeking out! It is amazing where you can find inspiration for quilting.

Valerie said...

I so appreciate you sharing how your inspiration translates to fabric and continues to evolve. Thanks for including us in the journey!

MariQuilts said...

Your slivers look fabulous.....don't you just love working without a plan. I'm glad you're having one of those wonderful studio days, that's exactly what I'm doing today.

cauchy09 said...

would it be bad for me to point out the "feminine nature" of these shapes? go for something o'keefe-y!

SusieDW said...

Love the textural lines in the picture of the museum. Definitely "quilt ready". The slivers are inspiring. I can see possibilities including some assembly and slashing. Semi-precious jewel hues... my favorite. Can't wait to see what you do with them. Love the dainty pink "pluses"... reminds me of peppermint ice cream.