Friday, May 8, 2015

The Magic of Five Days

I just returned home from Pacific Grove, California after teaching for a week at Asilomar.  Asilomar is a special place with inspiring views of the ocean, opportunities to hike the dunes and walk on the beach, and most importantly a chance to teach the same students for five full days.   It was my first time and I found it so satisfying to get to know the students as people, as artists and quilters, and to work with them over an extended period.

I taught a new class called Composing With Line.  It combines some techniques that I teach in my Slice and Insert Improv class with some new techniques as well as design exercises and lots of good information on designing with lines.  It's hard to test a full five day class, so the students were sort of guinea pigs for me.  They were awesome to work with and were also willing to give me feedback on pacing and the activities we did during the week.  I'll be going back to Asilomar in 2017.

I'm pretty excited about the five-day class concept and I'll be teaching Composing With Line again in this format this August at Madeline Island School for the Arts.  It will be my first time there too, but I have a feeling the experience is going to be just as great.  The setting is different, but just as beautiful and inspirational.  There's something pretty awesome about learning and working in a beautiful place.  It's like you can relax into your work and absorb not only the surroundings but the opportunity to learn and create.  Look where I'll be.
 MISA, short for Madeline Island School of the arts is on Madeline Island, the largest of the 22 Apostle Islands in Lake Superior.  It looks to me like it's definitely worth the trip.

 And like Asilomar, it's a beautiful setting....a place to be inspired.  I'll be teaching at MISA this August from the 24th to the 28th.  I would love for you to join me.  It's easy to register online.
I'm hooked on the extended class experience.  It doesn't get much better for time to learn, create and be inspired.

13 comments:

Diane said...

That's a lot of water for a prairie girl! I'd love to take a class at MISA. As soon as that last kid finishes college....

Unknown said...

I was one of Jacquie's "guinea pigs" at Asilomar, and what a privilege it was! It was the best 5 days of my quilting life. If you have a chance to take a class (any class) from Jacquie, I urge you to jump at the chance!

Paula said...

Five days of sewing and learning an relaxing AND the sea? Heaven. Sounds perfect to me.

Denise in PA said...

I've always wanted to go to Asilomar. I absolutely loved the one day class you taught us at PMQG last year and taking a week-long class with you would be amazing! The MISA class looks like such a beautiful venue also. I will echo the comment above...you will not regret taking a class with Jacquie - I learned more in the first 10 minutes she spoke than in some all day classes I've taken. o:)

Rene' said...

So tempting.....!

Julie said...

I saw Gail from Back Porch Quilts at our Shop Hop meeting on Wednesday and she told us how much she enjoyed your class. Completely unprompted she didn't know that I knew you. High praise from that one :)

Susie said...

I am taking a class with Jacquie this summer at Quilter's Affair. Very excited and jazzed about it. Both of these sound like when-I-retire opportunities.

Juliet S. said...

I was in Mary Lou Weidman's class at Asilomar and visited your classroom during the open house night. Your work is stunning! You were so friendly and gracious to every person who visited. I loved meeting you!

Kim said...

Been to the island and Bayfield many times...never had a quilt related opportunity while there. Sounds like a heavenly combination! Have a great time, Jacquie.

MariQuilts said...

Sounds wonderful.....what a beautiful setting.

SusieDW said...

Beautiful part of our planet. I've spent so much time in that area. The Five Day Class sounds wonderful. The camaraderie, learning, scenery and creative environ along with the seaside air… can't beat it.

Gale Wrigley said...

I sooooo enjoyed being one of the Guinea Pigs! You are a great teacher, Jacquie. I look forward to seeing you again at Asilomar 2017, if not before.

Cher said...

Oh, thanks for the heads up about 2017- that I can put on my calendar and make happen. I have missed chances to take a class from you and will look forward to 2017! The current MISA looks stunning- what a fabulous time you and your students will enjoy.