Monday, October 19, 2015

The Remodel - Kitchen and Living Room

I know I've been promising this for a long time, and today I had time to dig out the camera and take some photos in the house.  Buying this condo in Kansas City was all about the space, the high ceilings, the angles, the light.  Everything else was tacky, low quality or didn't work at all.  The kitchen was a dark cave with black countertops and backsplash and weird brown paneling on the walls and ceiling, not to mention a wall of cabinets that opened up in the living room.  There was no functionality or storage.  The entry and living room were filled with potential, but had buckling laminate bamboo floors and brown, painted metal mesh railings that looked like they were stolen from an office building.  Walls were painted a dull beige with a few accent walls randomly painted in murky green and gold.  Just about everything in the place has been touched by the remodel and I can't thank Jerad and Ryan from Studio Build in Kansas City for their vision, their patience and their awesome taste, quality work and design sense.

My vision was modern Jacquie, minimal with clean lines and bold color.  I was willing to take risks in this place that I wasn't brave enough to do in decorating all the other homes I've lived in.  I listened to my voice this time with only a little moderation from the design team and my husband.  I didn't think about resale.  I tried to stay true to how I wanted to live and how I wanted to feel in my home.  I agonized over every choice, floor, lighting, tile, paint color, cabinet color, cabinet layout, etc, etc.  It's not easy making all those choices without being able to see everything together.

Let's start with the entry, living room and kitchen.  Here are a couple of photos of what the place looked like before.  There were two giant frosted glass doors that went into a bedroom from the kitchen.  That is now the back wall of the kitchen.  You can get a glimpse of the mesh railings in the second photo.



This is what it looks like today.  I hope you enjoy.  I'm loving living in my place.  It was a six month adventure, but now that it's over, I don't remember any of the hassles.

You'll enter our place on the ground floor and come up the stairs to get to the main level.  The orange door and railing set the tone for the place.

The stairway wall goes up about 40 feet and so it needed a burst of color and interest.  I think the art does it for me.  I love coming up and going down those stairs.
The stairs come up right between the kitchen and living room.

At the top of the stairs the living room is to the left, kitchen to the right, but it's all one big room.
The end of the living room has a giant window that lets in loads of light.  My two mid century chairs are there.  It's where I sit to do handwork and where we'll sit in the chillier weather to enjoy the fireplace.
I had the chairs reupholstered and went bold this time.  No more safe beiges for me.
I have so much wall space that art is very important in this house.  Quilts move around the house as my mood changes.
The living area isn't big, but its totally functional for chilling out watching a movie or sitting and having conversation.  I found the vintage couch and chair at a local retro store.  I traded in my old orange sofa for a beautiful green one.  The color makes me so happy, though my boys thought I had taken it over the top.  They admitted they were wrong.  The coffee table I picked up years ago at a vintage shop. Steve finally got his recliner, but it's modern and Jacquie approved.
The credenza was a Chicago find.  It set the tone for the whole place.  In my mind it's an art piece.
I love the minimalist grandfather clock.  It's one member of my clock collection (obsession).
The fireplace is modern and sparkly.  I can't wait to enjoy it this winter.
I didn't go safe for my rug either.  I'm still pondering additional rugs for the house.  Again, all choices are hard.
The other end of the room is the dining room/kitchen.  The table was designed and built by the Studio Build guys.  My metal chairs work so well with it.  The metal hanger for the light over the table was fabricated by a nearby motorcycle shop.  
Everything in the kitchen is simple and functional.  I've been wanting to use the semi pendant lights since I first saw them in Chicago.  I knew they would be in this kitchen.
The upper cabinets lift up so I can reach everything.  No more cabinets above.  I don't need them and I couldn't reach them anyway.
We eat at the table and snack or chat at the counter bar.  Everyone gathers in the kitchen and there's room for loads.
Almost all the storage in the kitchen is in drawers.  I have all my dishes except glassware in drawers.  Makes setting the table and emptying the dishwasher a breeze.
The cabinet color was a challenge.  They're rift sawn oak with a blue/gray stain.  Took weeks and weeks to finally achieve the color I was going for.  It's so unique.  I adore it.  It's set off by the white counters and white upper cabinets.
The sink is a simple rectangle with an easy to use faucet.
Most everything in the kitchen is hidden including the coffee maker and microwave which are squirreled away in a cabinet next to the fridge.  I only have out things I use.
The kitchen connects seamlessly with the living room.
It's fun to be able to have a quilt hanging in the kitchen.  Have you noticed the position of this quilt has changed multiple times!



The tile backsplash was a quandry for me.  I'm so happy I chose this clear glass tile.  It's so calm and pulls everything together for me.


The rest of the main level is my husband's office and the guest bath.  They're next to show you.  

45 comments:

Unknown said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Barbara said...

You are living in my dream house. Beautiful job! Enjoy it!

Audrie said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Erika Mulvenna said...

Oh, wonderful tour Jacquie! I love to see all the pops of color and personality you've added throughout. Really like the framed graphics going up your staircase. Hope you and yours are doing well, we all miss you in Chicago!

Diane Maxwell said...

I -did- notice that quilt moving around in the background. It wants to be in every photo obviously.

Angela said...

Gorgeous!

liz said...

Wow~ I am not surprised that I adore your style sense when it comes to home decorating. in love with your place! Enjoy, and thanks very much for sharing!

Judy said...

Awesome! I adore the colors.

Esch House Quilts said...

Completely stunning! Congratulations on achieving the look you wanted! The light is fantastic and so are the combination of color and neutral. I love it!

Debra said...

Ridiculous! How can so much inspirations reside in one space. I hope you build memories, comfort many, laugh, cook, eat, sleep and feel so much at home in this space of yours.

Paula said...

It's beautiful Jacquie and so different than the original design. That's all you!

Unknown said...

You have such a great sense of style. I love how you've gone with bold colors and clean lines. Your new place is looking great and I can't wait to see more.

Irelle said...

Love, love, love it.

Anonymous said...

How happy you must be! I L-O-V-E orange!

MariQuilts said...

So fabulous.....I love that you didn't play it safe and went with what you love!!! Six months...huh!!! We just got the engineer's okay to remove a wall, let the games begin.

I love that your quilting style is reflected in you home....so exciting. Thanks for sharing.

Diane M said...

Your home definitely mirrors your quilting style - love it!! So beautiful. Congratulations!!

Mego said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! I'm ready to get rid of everything and do this!!!

Chris said...

Love it all - to thine own self be true , indeed! Fresh fun elegant lovely!

Alison said...

LOVE this Jacqui.
Minimalist is the way I want to go.
Colours, furniture all perfect.

kitty said...

Congratulations!! You've created an absolutely wonderful, inspiring home!

mc said...

You have created a wonderful home. Beautiful!

Pat said...

What a wonderful environment you've created for yourself and your family. Thanks so much for the peek. Enjoy!!

sonia said...

Love your choices! Your quilts look amazing on your walls!

Mama Spark said...

It's so YOU! I love it! I miss talking with you. Hope all is well with your family and your folks too.

elizabethdee said...

So very very beautiful! Will you please redo my apartment now?
You know, I hardly ever love a house tour, but yours is fabulous and fun. Can't wait to see the rest of it. I hope you and your family enjoy your house for years and years to come.

Unknown said...

What a difference! While I think that I'm good at seeing the potential in an existing space, you really did an astounding job of turning it all into something open and colorful and simply joyous!

ChristaQuilts said...

Thanks for sharing Jacquie! You've done a wonderful job and I can't wait to see the rest!

KaHolly said...

Wow! It's all so gorgeous! You've got the touch!

Cher said...

stunning....and true to your self. Seems you are enjoying your heart's desire in your new home. Look forward to the next photos of the "rest of the remodel story" !

Anonymous said...

oh yeah! Time for tea;)

Марина Концевая said...

A real rebirth for those rooms! Amazing look! Absolutely Your personal style.

Unknown said...

We have a very traditional home ( can hear you gagging!) BUT love❤️ Your home. Having seen and fallen totally in love with your quilts, I know you will be soooo happy in your new digs! Hoping to take a class in January sewing one of your patterns. Looking forward to the rest of the tour....��

www.hudsonvalleyquilts.com said...

Wow!! Great job, Jackie. May you enjoy good health and happiness in your new home.

Deborah said...

Completely gorgeous. We've been in our house nearly four years and haven't gotten a fraction of what you've gotten done accomplished here. Am so impressed, and love every single selection. Dreamy!!

Hendirks said...

Love your updates to the place and also love that you didn't think about resale in your decision making. The world is a boring place when we design for the masses.

pamela said...

This is so beautiful in every way! I love modern and you did an awesome job going with your gut on this! What a pleasure for you to live there. Can't wait to see the rest of it!

Dawn said...

It's so lovely that I'm at a loss for words. (Which is completely out of character for me. lol) Well, actually one word comes to mind.........STUNNING!!!!!! I am so very happy for you that you did all that you wanted to do in your new home and that it makes you happy. It's always been my opinion that a person should be over the moon in love with their home.

Anne said...

Wow! I love your place it's very mid century modern. And your quilts look beautiful in it too.

Charlotte said...

it looks fabulous!

angela said...

It is just spectacular! Love it!

Pedal Sew Lightly said...

Beautiful! Modern is practically nonexistent where I live and I have been trying to get my husband to buck the trend for almost 20 years. I grew up modern and I have been out of my element since I moved here in 1985. We are planning another move and he keeps oscillating between building a safe traditional again or letting me have my way. Maybe your "real life" photos will put him completely on my page. Thanks for sharing, can't wait to see your next share.

CAESAR SHOP said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SusieDW said...

Very sleek. Your work is going to show so nicely and I dare say just looking at the vignettes will be inspiring. I particularly like the possibilities of the living room window to the outdoors. Looks like the Autumn leaves have popped. Your color combo of green, orange, yellow and white with a touch of blue sets off that window for year round artistry in nature.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful home you created....who wouldn't love it!! I understand why you needed to live somewhere else during part of it. Now that is over and you can enjoy your "Jacquie" home!!

Leslie Tucker Jenison said...

I love what you wrote about your process. To make the space our own we need to get everyone else's voices out of our heads and follow our instincts. I love this space so much! I see these photos and it just feels perfect for you!
I, too, am in the process of a remodel: the studio if finally being completely gutted and reconfigured to suit my needs. It is very interesting to me that we share a similar aesthetic. xo Leslie