Saturday, September 3, 2016

Weekend Abstractions Week 4

This week launched my Mighty Lucky challenge on negative space so I thought I'd share one of the blocks and a resulting quilt that I designed using the information and exercises in the challenge.  I haven't made this quilt yet, but it's definitely on my list of things to do.

I hope those of you who are involved in the challenge are having fun and learning something new. It's not too late to join. If you're interested check out the Mighty Lucky quilting club on the Lucky Spool site.  There have been loads of great challenges this year.




I am also hoping to get started quilting on this quilt which is also designed using the space block techniques in the September challenge.  This one is stumping me a bit on how to quilt it, but I have some ideas percolating.

Have a happy Labor Day weekend!


6 comments:

KathyinMN said...

Every single blog post...you make my mind go WOW. And encourage me to play, get out of the traditional rut. Lovely quilts, truly.

Marty Mason said...

Intrigued that your latest abstraction doesn't reference inspiration by Harold Krisel, Robert Kelly, Ellsworth Kelly, Sarah Cain....just to name a few abstract artists, what with all the hype about derivative work. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing your work, but should they be hung in quilt shows? Derivative is subjective, but I see the quilts from your last blogs as derivative work by the definition. How absurd would that be that your quilts might be considered inferior or copycats by close-minded judges.

www.hudsonvalleyquilts.com said...

I especially love the last one. It reminds me of your improv quilts.

SusieDW said...

I really like this group. The last piece, the one you'll be quilting, is my favorite. There is a really nice little modern quilt/fabric shop near me with a very good selection of *word fabric*. French, multi-lingual, blacks, whites, grey and some with a little color. I'm eager to jump into a project using some them. Your piece here is inspiring me.

Unknown said...

I am loving your weekend abstractions! Such inspiration!!! Thank you.

Debra said...

Love that first idea, just striking.