Friday, July 14, 2017

The Challenge of Simple

In my artist statement I state that I love simple, but I tend to overcomplicate.  I've been studying minimalism in the hope of creating minimalist work that has the simplicity and graphic impact that I crave, but at the same time is interesting and unique.  It's been a challenge for me for sure. Simple is hard!

I spent my evenings this week cutting and pasting with my favorite material...craft foam.  I think I might have the start of a series I'll be happy with.  I love black and white. I want to stay with that for now and add a bit of color when necessary.  It might be fun to work in a series too.  I think working on these will be a blast.  I'd like to control myself and work small, but knowing me that's not going to happen.  Stay tuned.





8 comments:

Laura said...

That second image really speaks to me. Good luck with simple!

Rhonda said...

So true, simple is complicated. But I think the project will be striking!!

Unknown said...

There is nothing simple about simple. I also consider myself a minimalist, but it is so hard to be taken seriously. Your work inspires me and I can't wait until you post the next photo. When I was very young my Dad gave me a nice compass set and I quickly learned that with a compass set and a ruler anything is possible.

Odette said...

Love all your works. I have read and re-read your book many times. Took your class on Craftsy and loved it. Keep up the good work.

AnnieO said...

Craft foam, eh? Liking very dynamic black and white. I agree simple is hard!

KaHolly said...

Very impressive work! I love these graphics. hope to see more! Keeping it simple, my motto, isn't always so simple!

Not a blogger! said...

You are my inspiration! I am impressed to know that you struggle to find your designs...here I thought it came easy for you. I took you improv class on Craftsy and found it very exciting. These designs are all wonderful.

Kat Scott said...

Love your black and white images!