Tuesday, September 18, 2018

A Mid Century Dream

In April we sold our condo in downtown Kansas City. I loved that place, but there were reasons we had to let it go.  It went fast and we were left without a home again. My youngest son was kind enough to let us move in with him and his girlfriend while we found a new home.  Cheers to living out of suitcases again.  I'm pretty good at it. It's weird how things happen and how this house came to us.

We bought and have now moved into this 1958 Don Drummond built mid-century home.  It's only about 15 minutes from our Westside condo, but it feels a world away. It is a Castillian model and was designed by A. Quincy Jones and Frederik E. Emmons.  The top photo is our home this spring.  Below is a newspaper article from the 50's about the design of our home.  I love how it is described as having the "look of tomorrow".  It is a timeless, well-functioning design. It's post and beam construction with seven...count'em...seven sliding glass doors.  Talk about bringing the outside in!

I love my new home with all its quirks and originality from the 50's.  I am learning to understand it by living in it which we haven't done much since move in date since we've both been on the road much of the summer.  My sabbatical kicks in in earnest this fall and so I'm looking forward to spending time here and making it our own slowly, but surely.

We've done more than I thought in just over a month, but some things can't wait.  We've fixed some plumbing and electrical issues and I've even done a few changes like new wallpaper. I think I'll document those here so I'll share them in detail as we go along.

I want to preserve the historic character of this house.  It is a mid century treasure in Kansas City, but I also want to make it Jacquie and Steve's house.  It isn't a museum.  I can't wait to share more with you.  You can see a few more pictures on my Instagram feed, jacquietps, if you're interested, but for now enjoy the exterior!







9 comments:

Danice G said...

So glad that you are getting settled in. I love mid-century architecture. You are living in the perfect house!

Barb Neiwert said...

That was a pretty expensive home back in 1958, and such a gem to upgrade and make your own. Have fun with the process!

Kathryn said...

I grew up in a house like this. My dad's friend was an architect and designed a great one. None of my friends had a house like ours. Open beam ceilings, windows all across the back to take in the view of my grandfather's farm. It was sold last year when my 92 year old mother finally decided that the house and land were too much for her to maintain since we kids had all moved away. I hope its new owners love it as much as we did.

Margo Yang said...

What a beautiful home! It sure has a modern feel. I'm very happy for you. Can't wait to see the inside. I'll check your Instagram.

Susan said...

Congrats on a new (to you) house! Looks great! And don't you just love the term mid-century!

Diane O said...

What a beautiful house!! I've loved the pictures you have shared on Instagram. It is also wonderful to follow how you are changing it to your home!!

Debbie said...

That house has a great layout. If I were building a house today I think I would copy it.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Now that is cool. Congratulations on your new digs, daddyo!!

Kathleen said...

Very cool!