Monday, March 17, 2008

Drumroll Please...

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! I'm not a bit Irish, and green is not even close to my favorite color, but who can turn down a chance to celebrate. So, the luck of the Irish to you. Maybe you'll win the quilt that Dana is giving away!
It's a terribly dreary day here...not a stitch of sun (ooh I crack myself up!)...steady, cold, rain. Needless to say, not the best day to take pictures, but here goes....drumroll please.....TA DA...
The scrappy cabin blocks.
I know the picture is bad, but it's the best I could do. I made 6 of them...well, actually seven, but the 7th one ended up in the trash...only temporarily. More on that later. They aren't all the same size...but I can fix that later if need be. It might be fun to have them different sizes in the final quilt. I think they are WILD and fun. Is it possible for your scrap box to GROW when making blocks like this? Mine did. I think I had squished it down so many times that when I started digging it just exploded. It was like reaching into the magician's hat and continuing to pull out scarf after scarf. I had to spend some time cleaning and organizing this morning. ...fabric was everywhere...walls, floor, any horizontal surface...
So, what happened to the 7th block. Well, the center square just didn't work for me. It was that lovely graphic Alexander Henry fabric in the pinwheel quilt. But in this block it just threw everything off. It simply refused to play nicely so it ended up in the trash. This morning I tried to remove the center...and replace it. Not a good idea. So, I cut it up and started practicing some machine quilting. Just straight line...playing a bit. Then I cut off a square I liked. I thought I'd just pin it on the design wall. The edges aren't finished; it is just a happy little square. I have this pile of cheap frames (don't even remember where they came from) so I took one and framed this little block. From the trashcan to "art" all in one day! It's now hanging in the guest bath. As Christian would say, "fierce!"

7 comments:

Jen said...

Love your crazy blocks. And that bit of art there is priceless. Glad you saved it from the trash.

QuiltedSimple said...

Love your blocks - can't wait to see more!!!

Kris

Becky said...

I absolutely love your blocks. I can't wait to see what the top looks like when you get done.

bettyninja said...

Fierce it is! They do look addictive and they amazingly colorful too.

Dana said...

So my style!! I. LOVE. these. MUCH.

Meg said...

I love the framed blocks. I have decided UNC is my team, I went to N.C. for vacation this past summer and fell in love with the place.

jacquie said...

Meg,
I like it...a Carolina convert! It is a beautiful state and of course a basketball mecca!