Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Half-Square Triangle Redo

So, my brain finally came out of the "I love this fabric" induced stupor and I was able to successfully sew a load of half-square triangles.














I've made 80 of these so far. Though I have more to make, I like to break up the process. Plus it's fun to start to see what a quilt might look like.
Here is what I have so far.














It started out to be a Streak of Lightning pattern, but then I found the Zig Zag quilt tutorial at Purl Bee. They both end up looking the same, but the Purl version is simpler. I haven't cut the white strips that will eventually go between each Zig Zag, but you get the idea.

There are a bunch of different fabric collections in these Zig Zags, Swell, Amy Butler dots, Olivia, Kona solids, Denyse Schmidt Katie Jump Rope...I'm wondering how it all looks together and whether the red and blue zig zags are the best combination. What do you all think? Maybe I should do two quilts...one of the red and one of the blue? Maybe I should combine them with different colors??? Would love to hear your opinions!


















As a side note...I had to go and clean out my car this morning...you know, collect my personal effects. My car was TOTALED, no chance for repair. It was the first time seeing the damage from the accident. I love that car even more now that I know how it protected Jon. I didn't bring the camera. I should have because that car has been my friend for many years. It had almost 200,000 miles on it and drove like a dream. It fit me like a glove and never gave me an ounce of trouble. We've been through a lot together, been a lot of places. OK, I know...this is getting silly. Bye RAVVY!

15 comments:

BusybeeDebQuilts said...

Hi Jacquie - I love the red and blue together, but it would be cute in all red or all blue.

What are you planning on doing with the quilt(s)?

I read about your mistake too ... sounds like something I'd do ... glad you were able to make it right!

I hear about the car ... I remember trading in my very first car and feeling sad to drive away from it ... it looked so forlorn sitting there. Just a car, I know, but I'd been thru a lot with it.

Deb

jacquie said...

Deb,
It started out as a baby quilt for a friend. One of those don't know if it's a boy or a girl babies. If I make two...it's good to have one in the closet for a gift.

Jen said...

Oooo...I love the red and the blue. But I agree that two quilts would be equally stunning.

I fell for the Purl pattern as well. Just haven't done anything with it yet. I do have a baby gift to make...hummmm, we'll see.

Sorry about your car. I've missed my old cars as well when they needed to go.

QuiltedSimple said...

I think I like it together - but I think it would look equally well in all red or all blue - it's so bright and cheerful - I love seeing those patterns of fabric put together - AWESOME!!
Kris

bettyninja said...

Oh this looks great! I am glad you were able to overcome the little quilting mishap the other day and come out with something so lovely still. The red dots really make this quilt look special. I love it so much the way it is.

Laurie said...

That is going to be adorable quilt! I just LOVE it! Glad to hear your son is OK as well...I am sure that was a scarey time for everyone.
Hugs
Laurie

Meg said...

I love the quilt, what a great choice of fabrics and combinations. That pattern is on my ever growing list. I had to do the car clean out in Jan. My college car (which last more than few years after...) died at around 180,000 miles. Had to go to the tow yard with a box and collect my things. It was suprisingly hard.

Hyena In Petticoats said...

LOVE that quilt - I think the blue and red look great together, I wouldn't change a thing!

I wish I had the patience to do proper patchwork piecing - it's on the to-do list!

Thanks so much for your visits and comments lately!

Leah xxx

Stacy A. said...

Jacquie, Thanks for stopping in on me. Days like that don't happen too often so I needed to share :). When I first looked at the quilt I didn't see it as red/blue because the blue has that lovely green in it. I do like 2 color quilts too though and those pieces would make nice ones.

I am so glad your son is doing ok. It seems like one of those times when by some miracle all the pieces were in play to protect him. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and emotions about the experience. It helped remind me about the close calls I have had and to not take the easier times for granted. Love Stacy

Nichole said...

Great quilt pattern! I've been planning to start a new with with some zig zags as well. I made one not too long ago with a horrible pattern, I think I'll be doing the one you're doing next time. :)

Anonymous said...

this is beautiful! i love your fabric choices.

Wendy said...

Cute pattern for your swell...looks great...I am tagging you ... check back to my blog for the instructions...
Wendy at therunningquilter.blogspot.com

Dana said...

Jacquie -- I love the red and blue and would make one giant quilt like that. Awesome! The more and more I visit your blog and see your style the more I absolutely love it! Can I come over so you can teach me all your tricks? Please?

Amanda Jean said...

I love the blue and red together. it's stunning.

dutchcomfort said...

It looks great together! I would go for both the colours!