Friday, April 4, 2008

Trudging Along and Something New

As I told one of my blogging friends, I 'm more of a starter than a finisher, though I do love to finish something. Look at that list of works in progress on the sidebar, it just keeps growing, but you know, I like it that way. Lots to keep me going, interested and learning.
Since I've challenged myself to work with AmandaJean to finish some things, here's a quick update. I am moving along on a couple of projects. The Disappearing Nine Patch has only two more blocks to quilt and a bit of straight line quilting and then it will be ready for binding. I've got the Zig Zag and the red and white quilt-a-long quilt pin basted and ready to quilt. I would love to do the Zig Zag by machine and I have an idea for that, but I need to do that on my mom's Bernina. Maybe her machine would like to come for a short visit here in the city. I'm still struggling with how to quilt the quilt-a-long quilt. I may just have to bite the bullet and hand quilt it. I like it so much, I think it's worth the time.
So what's the something new? I had one of those sleepless nights and was up late. That's always a good time to start a project. Because I have so many friends having babies...5 in all...I have baby quilts on my mind all the time. Last week I bought this little flannel blanket at a thrift store for 50 cents. It's covered with these tiny little red Radio Flyer wagons. As I was ironing it, I thought about little red wagons. So many memories of all those things my brothers and I hauled around in our wagon, as well as my boys. The kids, dirt, sticks, rocks, stuffed animals and other assorted items that made good use of the wagon. I thought this little blanket might make a good back for a baby quilt. I perused the stash and chose a tiny red and cream stripe (looks like that old mattress ticking), the red and a cream solid. The red looks like a solid, but it has little black lines running through it, kind of like the crackle finish you put on furniture. I thought it needed something to make it more interesting and modern. Polka dots...and not just any polka dot...Olivia Exercises and Accessorizes dots of course. Is that not the greatest name for a fabric collection! And since I did say I was going to make log cabin blocks (wonky of course) along with Judy, I started sewing. These are the first 6. They're all about 9 inches, but I think I'm going to add cream around each one to make them all 12 inch blocks. I think the cream will lessen the busy feeling they have now and tie them together better.

A couple of quick questions for you young mom's out there...or anyone else that has an idea. What size is best for a baby quilt that will not just be for a newborn? I think the last one I made was a bit small. Also, I love the little red wagon blanket, but I don't know if I should make it part of the backing of this quilt. How do you feel about having something that is not brand new being part of a baby quilt? Any help would be appreciated. I really want to make something that a new mom will like, but also use. Have a great weekend everyone!

13 comments:

QuiltedSimple said...

I so wish I had known you when I was pregnant with both my kids - I LOVE LOVE LOVE the red and white and those wagons!! As for size, I found that I liked the blankets that were about 40x50 or a little larger (50x60). Tyler has one of those fleece knotted blankets that he still uses - it's the ones made of a double layer of fleece and the edges are cut into strips and knotted - it's about 40x50 and it's still just long enough to just cover him. That blanket goes everywhere he goes (we even took it to the hospital on Monday with us so he would have something familiar).

You're moving right along on all your projects!! Can't wait to see them finished (and yes I would probably hand quilt your block of the month quilt to - it's to good to just quilt any old way).

Kris

Lisa Boyer said...

This little quilt is SO adorable! Love the colors and especially the polka dots!

Dana said...

So, how do you make these wonky squares? Pattern? Tutorial? Hints? Throw me bone here, huh?

jacquie said...

Dana,
Can't reply because you have that no reply email. Would a tutorial be helpful for others...or do most of you know how to do this?

The DO said...

Cute, cute, cute!! So cute! Love the colors and their interactions, and that wagon is just adorable. I know I wouldn't mind recycled fabric in a quilt. (And I'd sure read another tutorial if you did one:)
My "baby" quilts were salvage to salvage, and about 1 1/2 yards long, as most weren't pieced. So, that makes them about 44-45 by about 54, so I have to agree with Kris and her measurements. They are still big enough for my 2 and 4 year olds but were little enough to use when they were little.

Sara said...

I love the radio flyer blanket as backing! I would do it. It really adds something to it. And it will look great with the log cabin blocks. Those are awesome!! I keep saying I am going to make some but like you my to finish list just keeps growing! I too would do as my sister suggested and go with about 50x60. I made my step-kids those tie blankets that were about that size and they still use them at 13 and 11. It doesn't cover them completely (head to toe) but they work great for sitting on the couch etc.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Baby quilt batting is 45 x 60 which I think is a little large for a baby quilt. However I have made them in many sizes. If they are going to wrap the baby in it a square one works best. I make mine for them to lay on the floor to put the baby on so they are generally about 43" x 56-60". I try to make them small enough to use one width of fabric for the backing. I don't think anyone would know the wagon blanket was used unless you told them. I always try to wash the quilt before I give it, so it wouldn't be obvious if you washed the quilt.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I forgot to mention I really like the log cabin blocks. The baby will love it.

Dana said...

I forgot to mention earlier that the red wagon fabric would be GREAT backing. I have children. I would have loved this quilt for babies. As for a size . . . ?? I don't know. Big enough but not too big. Wow. Thanks for the help there, eh?

Rose said...

I meant to tell you a while back that I love the way you did your disappearing 9-patch. I have to remember that for times when I want something to do....haha

As for baby quilt size...I tend to make mine at least 50X60. I made one almost twin size and the mom loved it to spread out on the floor and lay the toddler on when he was just starting to roll around, etc.

Personally, I would like to start and remember to make them a little smaller till one width of fabric for the backing like someone else mentioned.

Liz said...

I would not mind a bit having something not-new in a quilt for one of my two little ones. Especially if it was as cute as that!

Anonymous said...

I like larger sized baby blankets (somewhere between a crib size and a twin) so that they can grow with the child. I love to see toddlers and preschoolers cuddled up with their favorite blankets that they've had since birth, and I like to think that as teens and young adults, they might grab the same quilt when they need a nice lap blanket. :~) A larger sized blanket can always be used for a play mat on the floor as well.
I love the idea of the found backing. What better way to make something truly unique and one of a kind. :~)

bettyninja said...

That blanket is amazing (wagons). It would be great as a back and I love love love your blocks here.