Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Power of Making

I'm in Grand Rapids, Michigan this week teaching at the AQS show and in meeting and talking with people teaching and attending the show I have again been awed by stories of how sewing and quilting has changed lives. There is power in making.

This is especially true for the women who are being served by the work of Action Kivu. My friend, Alissa has held a fundraiser for this organization for the past three years and it's time again to raise money to support the good work of Action Kivu.  Let's exercise the power of our community to help.

Action Kivu is a nonprofit that helps women who are victims of the conflict in Eastern Congo by teaching them to sew at a sewing workshop. Action Kivu also pays for children to go to school and supports other programs for women that provide them ways to support themselves and their families. The conflict in Congo has taken the lives of over 5.4 million people since 1998. Rape is used as a weapon of war, with estimates putting the number of rapes in the hundreds of thousands. These are horrible statistics but together, year after year now, we have made a difference for some specific women and children. 



We in the quilting/sewing community have breathed life into Action Kivu and over the years have seen the money we give turn into women who have gained skills to support themselves and their children.  The staff at Action Kivu cannot do this work without our donations.
Part of what’s great about this fundraiser is that we know exactly where this money goes. Action Kivu is run by Alissa's twin sister and a good friend. They have been to Congo and have met many of the specific women and children who are helped by this fundraiser. The more money we raise, the more we help!
Please give whatever you can.  I have a copy of my book, Quilting Modern, to give to a blog reader who gives the most money for the cause.  Just leave a comment here and let me know what you gave.  Alissa's goal is $20,000 this year.  It's a lofty goal, but together we can make it happen.  

There are loads of prizes for giving. Let's activate the power of the makers!  Check out Alissa's blog and give.  

By the way, the winner of the Double Wedding Ring Template set is Mego!  Your templates will be on the way as soon as I get home!

23 comments:

Heather said...

$105

Mego said...

WOW WOW WOW! I am so excited to have won the templates! Take your time...I know you have been traveling. I've been following your Camp Stitch-alot adventures!

Di~ said...

I LOVE that picture! I want to be there sewing with them!

Diane said...

I gave $40 so far and plan to make another donation.

Stitchified said...

Happy to have made a donation to such a great cause. Thank you for helping to spread the word!

lifeunfolds.com said...

Happy to donate $25.

Ann said...

Happy to donate again this year.

Anne said...

This is such a great cause and I'm so happy to support it with a donation.

Live a Colorful Life said...

My favorite charitable organization, Mennonite Central Committee, also has a strong presence in Eastern Congo. Such a needy place.

brenda said...

great fundraiser! glad to donate again!

Kat said...

Glad to donate to such a worthwhile cause!

ELNM said...

I'm new to Kivu and was happy to hear about their great works. Made a donation. Many thanks!
ellen(at)myerly(dot)net

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

I made a donation today. Thanks for your support of Action Kivu. Linda Stansifer

lisapeaceandlove said...

I've looked for a personal way to make a difference in the Congo and I"m so glad to have found it. Thank you for the opportunity!

deadlycraft said...

I gave $30 and love the idea to teach people to help themselves through sewing :) thanks for supporting them by donating a prize too!

Leanne said...

I have donated $200 in total, I went back a few time.

patty a. said...

I donated $30.00 to the project. Very worthwhile project!

Allison Sews said...

I happily donated last week. Thanks for spreading the word about the fundraiser!

Dana said...

Donated last week....such a worthwhile cause!

Mary P said...

Got in under the wire. Although paypal has it under my maiden name.

Moya Z said...

Donated! Thanks for promoting this charity!

Mego said...

Just wanted to let you know that the templates arrived in Seattle safe and beautiful! Thank you so much! Off to play now!

Shawn C said...

I love your Techno quilt and the cute modern pot holders. Have you published patterns for these? If so, where can I purchase them? Perhaps they are in one of your books. If so, please tell me which one.

Love your designs and colors.