Saturday, July 19, 2008

38 Hours (warning...unbridled enthusiasm!)

Arrived 10:00 P.M. Wednesday, departed 12:00 noon Friday. 38 hours in New York equals two taxi rides, the Museum of Modern Art, lounging in Bryant Park listening to Broadway performers sing, one Broadway show, the Folk Art Museum, the garment district, shopping at Mood, walking in Central Park, breakfast at Dishes, lunch at Pret, miles of walking...
Did I mention the Garment District?
I stood in a room about the size of my studio surrounded by 4 walls of ric rac. Every size, shape and color I could have imagined. It was like being inside of a ric rac rainbow. Explored as many shops as I could. Some shops specialized, all men's wear or upholstery, silk, some were all about a little bit of this, a little bit of that. I had a ball. My kind, patient hubby stood outside most of the shops people watching and waiting patiently for me. He did come into Mood and helped me pick some fabric. What a guy! It was almost so overwhelming it was hard settle down to buy something. I was on fabric and notion overload, inspiration overload too, architecture, music, people, art, fabric.

Melissa, thanks so much for the tips for us out of towners. Your info made all the difference!
Here's a bit of our trip:
Garden outside St. Bart's church






















Fabric gardens in the Garment District






















Shopped and bought at Mood (could I have stood in the footsteps of Christian?)

















Picasso sculpture...love the lines and spaces






















Jasper Johns...love how North Dakota drips all over South Dakota

















Wanted to sit and play on these...












































Simplicity, repetition, line...






















Artsy sound baffles...






















Floating...

















Guess who was in town?

















Vincent...love his colors...


















I'm exhausted...maybe a nap?

28 comments:

QuiltedSimple said...

Wow what a whirlwind trip! Sounds like you had a blast though. Love your pictures!
Kris

Laurie said...

sounds like agreat trip!!!
laurie

Thriftin and Craftin said...

Thanks for sharing your great photos. I've been to NY twice in my life. I loved it. I stayed where I felt safe out in the open, and loved every moment of the great city. Felt like a mouse in a maze with all the tall buildings enclosing us as we walked around. Great memories for me!

Darcie said...

Ooooh!!! I'm green with envy...yet so very happy for you! Thanks for the great art tour, too! Love the North Dakota South Dakota view! ;-)

Unknown said...

Wow! What an amazing adventure, and even more amazing husband! I would have a really hard time convincing mine to wait for me ;) Thanks for all the great pics! I've never been, but I'm pretty sure I would be on total overload with just one of those shops.

ellen said...

Oh, my! I am overwhelmed just looking at the photos you took and imagining the beauty in the art, fabric, flowers..all of it. I have never been to NYC and am not sure that I will ever be able to go, but it sure was fun to see it through your pictures and your words. Thanks! I am so happy that you were able to experience all of these wonders.

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Looks like an amazing trip!! The garment district sounds fabulous - I can hardly imagine a room full of just ric rac!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You really know how to pack it all in to a few hours. I've never been there so thanks for the taste of NY.

Clare said...

I found you via a commment you left on Tonya's blog. I run the Liberated Quilters web ring and wondered if you'd like to join. If yes, go to http://liberatedquilters.blogspot.com/ and click on the link in the side bar on the right.

Rebekah said...

wow! It looks like you had a wonderful time and took in a lot of amazing sites! I'm drooling over that ric rac room right now :)

Shanna said...

I can't wait to see the fabrics you bought on your trip!! I am sure they are wonderful...always nice to buy from a new place.

Sara said...

Sounds like an awesome trip! I have only been to NYC once and loved it!! Its a great city to visit!

Tine said...

What a great trip! I have been to New York City 3 times, and I love love love it!
Of course these trips were before the kids....so now it'll be a while before we get to go again!

Anonymous said...

OOOhhh! I am so excited too. I get to get next weekend for two whole days. I will have to get over to Mood;)

jovaliquilts said...

Such cool stuff! Thanks for the whirlwind tour -- love that Picasso.

Dawn said...

Probably the closest I will ever experience New York. Thanks for the tour. And ohhhh! Being in that ric-rac rainbow---hello?! A piece of heaven in my book.

Beth said...

What a great trip. I lived in NYC for three years and seeing your pics made me miss it terribly. Ah well, what a perfect reason to visit again. Thanks for sharing your adventure! You must share pictures of the fabric you brought home too.

Lori in South Dakota said...

HAH-North Dakota is just trying to hog the spotlight--most the time people don't even KNOW there are "North" and "South" Dakotas! That Darcie!!

Stephanie D said...

I'm thinking I might never get to NYC, but those photos are a fantastic substitute!

Thanks for remembering us back here in blogland!

Abby and Stephanie said...

I can only imagine the visual overload! Hope your trip to Mood was fierce!!!

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it have been awesome if Tim Gunn just happened into Mood when you were there. Sounds like a great trip.

Jodi Nelson said...

Awesome pics! I've always wanted to go to New York. Someday. Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Thanks for sharing.

MightyMom said...

how awesome! a whole room of ric rac?? put a room of eyelet lace next to it and I'd have been drooling!!!

Julie said...

I've decided that one can never have enough ric-rac. Fun trip. Ultra patient, kind DH.

Doris said...

Beautiful shots! I'm still trying to get past that "room of ric-rac" comment...oh to dream...

Meg said...

oooh, I love New York! What great pictures.

Anonymous said...

Our honeymoon was in NYC, it is one of our favorite places. Glad you had a wonderful time. I'm jealous of all the art that you got to see. I can't remember the last time I was in a museum or gallery. At least 6 years. There is so much inspiration out there. I would always come away from an exhibition so energized.
I was thinking about Christian too when I saw all of that fierce fabric!

Happy Zombie said...

The Dalai Lama AND Mood. WOW!