Thursday, May 10, 2012

On Baby Watch!

We're still on baby watch around here, so I might be able to get this one done under the wire. We shall see. I decided on a layout. I used 5 of the 8 blocks I made. I like odd numbers in design. (A landscape architect friend taught me that.)  Babyscape is now a top.
I chose a blue a few shades darker than the blue in the landscapes and then the same pale flesh to use in the background.  I wish I had a darker pink that I liked, but no, so I went with this.  I'm pretty happy with it.  It's about 55" x 65" so it should be a nice sized quilt for laying on the floor for some tummy play.
I had a few additional blocks so I framed one as a wall hanging and quilted it up.  It gave me an opportunity to try out a quilting idea.  I don't think I'll go with that for the large quilt.  It seems to overwhelm a bit.  I need to think about how would be best to quilt this.  I want it simple and clean.
I have one large block that I'm thinking will be on the back of the quilt.  I'm trying to piece together enough of my leftovers.  I love using leftovers for quilt backs.

In other news...did the radio thing....I'll say one thing, it's better than doing TV....no hair and makeup and you can do radio in your pj's!  Lastly, a great review for "Quilting Modern" on the Library Journal website.  It was characterized as "a picture book for adult readers" and written about in the same article as a book by Martha Stewart.  Wowsers!  Best part about that....I remember telling our editor, Elaine, that I wanted the book to be beautiful, and it is.  Thank you Interweave and our amazing photographer, Joe Hancock!  "Quilting Modern" makes a great coffee table book.


18 comments:

Molly said...

Wow this really is stunning- I love it! I like the way you quilted the wall hanging- though if you wanted it to blend better have you thought of using thread to match the light pink color- I think it would disappear into the pink, blend into the blue and give the darker colors a bit of interest without overdoing it- just a thought, really like where you are going with this one though.. lovely.

Paula said...

This is a great baby quilt. I love the blues. The block on the back is perfect. I try to do that myself. I think the "jacquie stitch"(your curvy line quilting) as we call it at Bernina would be great quilting for the baby quilt!

StaroftheEast said...

This is a great baby quilt, very refreshing instead of cuteness overload, great!

Donna said...

This quilt is fabulous - love how it's shaping up. And can't wait to download yesterday's episode of Creative Mojo - I'm two months behind in my listening and may have to skip ahead to yesterday's show!

Kersten said...

I like how the design of the quilt (and of course the blocks themselves!!) draw my eye across the quilt. Although it is a simple design/layout, there is so much interest to it. I look forward to the finished product. Also, I LOVE the mini!!

MightyMom said...

that's beautiful! I love it!
odds are always more appealing to the eye than evens. unless you're using the negative space between the evens.

when are you gonna come to Dallas so i can get that signed copy???????

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

Great quilt!

Cheryl Arkison said...

That is so serene. And a great size so that it will be with baby for a long time. What about making the quilt design you tested larger, as in scale?

carol said...

I love your quilt......actually, I LOVE all your stuff, but you already know that! Incidentally, I bought your book and guess what? I LOVE that too! Making the placemats for my LQS in Summerville for their Moda club later this month.

Valerie said...

Baby quilts that can be used beyond the baby years are the best! This is a beauty, for sure. Congrats on the great book review...it is a beautiful book, I find myself just flipping through it often :)

Kate said...

Love, love, love! This is making me want to learn how to piece curves, or to do the 'set-in' blocks. This totally reminds me of vacationing in the mountains, which is my very favorite thing, but one I don't get to do for over a year now. :(
thanks for sharing this amazing quilt!

Camilla said...

I love these little framed landscapes amidst the two tone background. I'd like to try something similar inspired by a beach landscape familiar to me. Also it makes me think it's worth me having some more yardage of some solids on hand, as my LQS here in Australia doesn't really stock solids- might just have to do some stocking up online-darn!

Your blog is always so inspiring and I plan to order your book too!

SusieDW said...

I like the use of the two blues! Depth. Was wondering about quilting like the famous rock garden in Kyoto. Waves and circles.

calicodaisy said...

I saw you at JoAnn Fabrics in Columbia, SC, yesterday -- well, in Block Party anyway. It is so odd and fun to having been part of the blog world these last 4? or so years and have actually grown with and been part of and have played with the crafters who are in the books and magazines today, myself included. Now, if I could only think of something new to offer, but I'm happy just monogramming pillow covers for the stylish ones right now.

MariQuilts said...

So fabulous..I love it.

Lisa said...

gorgeous quilt!!!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I am still catching up from the vacation! I love shattered, a lot. I love babyscapes. A lot too.

and just because, every once in a while I play "it ok not to like things" and laugh my fool head off once again.

glen

Emily said...

The book certainly is beautiful! And so is this quilt!