Monday, May 14, 2012

The Traveling Quilts

This is round three of the Traveling Quilts for Dan.  After reading Dan's and Penny's journal entries I knew what I wanted to do.  Like Dan, I love making my own fabric.  Dan made the green fabric and I decided to make some in gray.  Dan also shared a sketch where he had sections of a quilt defined by different shapes and I wanted to make a section that fit that vision.  He also was inspired by the moon and so my section for Dan is my interpretation of the moon rising.

 I followed Penny's lead and chopped one of Dan's circle into two sections.  Yikes, that took guts on my part.  I gripped that rotary cutter and went for it.
 The only thing I did differently than my regular curved piecing is that I stay stitched the cut curve of the pieced section.  I wanted it to be nice and stable and not unravel as I handled it.  Worked like a charm.
Dan sent some extra of the print fabric and I had to use a piece.  I cut templates for a full circle and pieced it.  I didn't want to disturb the print. I love how the almost full moon blends into Dan's piecing.  I wasn't planning to match up the prints, but the cut was so close, I moved the moon over a bit and matched it as best I could.

My goal was to get this done and sent off before heading to Quilt Market.  Yippee.  Now to pack and make sure I have everything on my list!  I have this fear of forgetting something.  It's going to be a busy, exciting week!

15 comments:

SusieDW said...

Ooooooh! I LOVE THIS!

Dan R said...

I'm beside myself. This is wonderful Jacquie. I love the graysm the new layer of made fabric, and especially the time lapse rising moon (if I may be allowed to go completely literal for a moment).

It's Gorgeous. Thank you so much!

Poppyprint said...

Fabulous!!!

Unknown said...

Awesome
You've way more guts than me Jacquie

Doreen said...

Pretty darn neat!!! Very riveting!!!

**nicke... said...

beautiful miss gering! it looks amazing! i bet he loves it. have fun at market!

LYNN said...

Nice!!

CitricSugar said...

It's absolutely gorgeous, Jacquie.

This is by far my favourite bee of all the bees I've read.

MariQuilts said...

So fabulous!!

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

I love the rising moon, it's fantastic!

SusieDW said...

Dan, I visited your site and saw where this started. Sure do love your collaboration. Fun surprises working together.

cinzia said...

Oh that's beautiful. Your curves are fabulous! and the color scheme is so fresh.

Heather said...

It's wonderful, the colors and the different shapes keep your eye moving through the piece. Well done!

Amigas & Cia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amigas & Cia said...

Hi! Amazing work! I love your blog! Congratulations from Brasil. Kisses Sandra